SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Budget for a blog Start-up

I'm looking into whether I want to start a new blog, or get a part time blogging job, contributing to other peoples blogs.

One of my biggest concerns with regard to starting my own blog is what is it going to cost. I'm really looking to make a good job of anything I do, so we're looking at the costs for starting up and the first years operations including:
    • Original Design
    • Logo
    • Some advertising (minimal)
    • Hosting

If theres anything else you can think of, say so. What are the likely costs going to be?

Thanks.
    I blog at GearFire Student Productivity Blog

My author profile can be found here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Blogger View Post
    I'm looking into whether I want to start a new blog, or get a part time blogging job, contributing to other peoples blogs.

One of my biggest concerns with regard to starting my own blog is what is it going to cost. I'm really looking to make a good job of anything I do, so we're looking at the costs for starting up and the first years operations including:
    • Original Design
    • Logo
    • Hosting

If theres anything else you can think of, say so. What are the likely costs going to be?

Thanks.

Honestly, nothing more than hosting and a domain. Wordpress is free.

Or you could just go to wordpress.com and sign up for a blog.

BAM! Blogging for free.

I think a successful blog depends on the author and what he blogs about and the quality of his content that will bring more visitors (and returning visitors) over spending hundreds of dollars on advertising or fancy designs. Work on your content and writing then go from there. IMO

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonh View Post
    Honestly, nothing more than hosting and a domain. Wordpress is free.

Or you could just go to wordpress.com and sign up for a blog.

BAM! Blogging for free.

I think a successful blog depends on the author and what he blogs about and the quality of his content that will bring more visitors (and returning visitors) over spending hundreds of dollars on advertising or fancy designs. Work on your content and writing then go from there. IMO
    Would you not say it is useful to have a customized design, to start building a brand for your blog?
    I blog at GearFire Student Productivity Blog

My author profile can be found here

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Blogger View Post

• Original Design
    • Logo
    • Hosting

Thanks.
    First of all.... What do you want to blog about?
    Next... Are you interested to blog about it?

If already have your answers to these, you can start blogging using blogger.com or wordpress.org / wordpress.com

You can have your own domain if you are really serious on it!
    Last edited by fr@nc!z; Aug 12, 2008 at 21:12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For starters, you could use the free ones.. And if you already earning for the blogs that you have started for free, then you might go pro and register your own domain.
    Can't afford your dream house? Home Loan Calculator can help you.

Asian Tourism | Malaysia Property |USA Debt Settlement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want quality hosting be prepared to part with about $10/month + $8/year for a domain name.

As for a layout, you can grab a free theme.

As for a logo, you can get one from someone for as cheap as $20. Just make a post on a web design forum saying you'll either give $20 to whoever makes the best logo, or that you'll pay someone $20 for a logo. If $20 doesn't do it, up it to 30, and 40 tops.

Total cost for your first year could be about $150 - but this is assuming you want QUALITY hosting. If you don't want quality hosting, you might be able to cut that down to about $90. However, you may have to upgrade eventually if your blog gets popular. Or, if you're a really good blog promoter you may have to upgrade right away, in which case you'll end up paying more anyway.
    Hostamina - Hosting You Can Rely On!
    - Providing High Quality Hosting with Personalized Support
    - Will help you install, configure, and even build your website.
    - No Overselling! Get Hosted on Fast Servers with 99.9% Uptime!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $10 a month is a bit much who do you host with rofl, powweb buy a years hosting i got myne for $50 (they had a deal) unlimited domains, domain pointing loads of free applications and they just opened up a directory for everyone who hosts with them, no i dont run the site lol i wish i did but they have a real 99.99% uptime unlike namecheap.com who ive found to be highly unreliable.
    Create a free blog | Sexy Costumes [Womens lingerie]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just learn to do everything yourself

you can get free plugins, themes

just hit up the million of tutorials for photoshop or gimp and make your own logo

and then hit w3schools.com and learn php/mysql

dailyblogtips.com has some great free themes

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally started with a wordpress theme which is free.
    Then, I paid $9 for a domain name and found a 1yr hosting service for $20 (dreamhost was offering that promotion back then).
    I did my first logo myself with photoshop (was not the greatest!). Then I paid $50 for my existing logo.
    Blogging is a lot of work so there is no point of putting a lot of money right away. Start blogging first and see how it goes, then you can decided if you want to invest more.

In regards to advertising, submitting to blog carnival, posting on forums and commenting on other blogs would just do fine!

In the end, people are more interested in your content than your design.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working with wordpress; 10$ for the domain, free theme and hosting from a good friend
    the blog is new, but I hope I can make some $ with it...

Good luck, guys!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from 10$ to ... 1k$