SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bold Looking Georgia?

I did a design in photoshop and it looks very nice. The Georgia font is set to 'none' and everything looks sharp.

When developing the site the Georgia font in FF, Opera and Safari on Mac(only tested these 3 browsers so far) look bold and the layout does not look as slick as the photoshop version.

I am 100% the client will notice it aswell.

Any ideas or fixes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Yeh generally things don't look as slick in browser as in Photoshop. If you are really that worried, try either use image replacement techniques, or sIFR Flash/javascript text.

Google searches will bring you answers
    I'm looking for a link exchange.
    contact me or head to:
    http://www.aheadcreative.co.uk

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I did a design in photoshop and it looks very nice.
    Photoshop isn't the web. It's a drawing package that gives you total control over the fonts you use and how they are displayed. When you are on the web you are stuck with what the browser has to offer and what fonts are installed by default on the visitors system.

Safari will anti alias fonts to make them look better and IE7 has a similar option but these can be switched on or off by the user. Photoshop can give you varying degrees of boldness on your text but browsers are usually limited to just normal and bold.

That's just the way it is and you should not use a photoshop image as a true representation of what someone will see on the web unless of course you have designed it without all the fancy text rendering that paint packages apply.

As said above you can use SIFR or image replacement for headings etc (which is a pain for a number of reasons) but for general text content you should just use the browser font.

You could always show your client what it looks like in safari and that will be closer to your mock up than other browers