User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Question Re: 1&1 MS Beginner Hosting and WordPress

I'm very new to this, so I'm still quite confused at the entire process.. bear with me and let me know if you need more information in order to help me out.

I chose the 1&1 beginner MS hosting and signed up for Wordpress. I understand I need to have a MySQL database on the 1&1 control panel in order to place all the WordPress info.

I just found out that the MS hosting package on 1&1 doesn't offer the MySQL Admin, but the Linux version does??

Can someone tell me if there is another way? I chose the microsoft version because I know nothing about Linux and would like to eventually create my own apps using Microsoft VB.net (down the road of course)

Many thanks.

Design Your Site Team bronze trophy Erik J's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi myfirstsite, welcome to SitePoint

I don't think you have to learn Linux commands or anything like that, it looks to me that the Linux hosting has exactly the same web based tools (and more) to manage the site. What OS the host is on shouldn't affect your end as a client, other than if you directly connect to the server then you have different interfaces. I suggest you switch to the Linux hosting, the difference that you encounter seems to be the db format.
    Happy ADD/ADHD with Asperger's

SitePoint Enthusiast lukemeister's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To follow up Erik a bit... Wordpress typically runs best on a Linux server enviroment.. it can run on Windows, if that is what you are trying to do, but you'll find it much easier to set up and use on a Linux server. If your host offers both Windows and Linux hosting, maybe they'd change your plan for you?