User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to store images?

Where do most of you store your images that you use for your blog? I used flickr the longest time but I am at the limit of the number of photos that I have on there. I don't want to spend $24 to increase the limit. I am now starting to use WordPress to store my images. I just want to know where most of the bloggers out there store their images.

Greg Ellison

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use photobucket for hosting images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who has a hosted server, or dedicated server, should be hosting their own images. You can't rely on some other website to do it for you. Web space is extremely cheap and there are all sorts of applications you can use to make it an easy process. ImageShack, flickr, PhotoBucket and all the rest are merely temporary solutions. Sooner or later, a visitor using the most popular browser in the world (IE) will see nothing but an ugly red X, not your images and graphics.

Jim

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can store your images at these sites

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The best place to store the images is on the same domain as the blog so that you save the extra time needed to do a domain lookup on a separate site.Storing your images separately from the blog makes the blog slower loading and your visitors get absolutely nothing for the extra time that it takes.

Hosting the images separately also doubles the chances of your site going down since if the server with the images on them goes down your blog is broken even though the blog server is still running.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will prefer to use your own domain for storing those images

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregee View Post
    Where do most of you store your images that you use for your blog? I used flickr the longest time but I am at the limit of the number of photos that I have on there. I don't want to spend $24 to increase the limit. I am now starting to use WordPress to store my images. I just want to know where most of the bloggers out there store their images.

Greg Ellison
    Im using photobucket as my image storage hosting site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way is to store your images in your own domain. It will also helps you promote your site when people searching for pictures.
    Can't afford your dream house? Home Loan Calculator can help you.

Asian Tourism | Malaysia Property |USA Debt Settlement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use google picassa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many place to restore the photoes, however,it decide that if you want to share with others or display on your web.

I store the photoes on googles sites,and google pisca which I can display on my site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What WordPress plugin do you use with Picasa?

Greg

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use another one of my domains

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use flickr. I reached my limit and just paid to get the pro version. In terms of reliability and speed, they are the best. The reason I dont self host is because, even though I am on a high-end dedicated server (quad-core 4 GB memory), during large amount of traffic (regardless of whatever cache you use), when it comes to images, performance will suffer.

Large sites like nytimes, BBC, Digg mostly host their pictures on Amazon S3 servers (same thing as flickr); because for high traffic sites its not practical to host your own images.
    Last edited by pavelmaha; Aug 12, 2008 at 19:52.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcaronan View Post
    The best way is to store your images in your own domain. It will also helps you promote your site when people searching for pictures.
    Only IF the blog has its OWN domain and not hosted in free hosting blog platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another reason to host on your own server is ownership. If you look at the fine print for many of the photo sharing sites, by opening an account with them, you're giving them the right to use your photos. The extent of use varies from company to company, but most of the ones I've read assume some kind of rights.

I can't remember which one recently had a big blow-up about this. Their TOS essentially signed over complete ownership to the company. After word got out, they backed down. But it's still a danger. How many of you using a photo hosting site actually read all the way through the user agreement and understand what it says?
    M Blaze Miskulin
    President
    Geek Niche Web Hosting

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just leave it up to Wordpress or Blogger to store my images. For important images, though, like blog template images, I store it at either my Google pages or Photobucket.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeMiskulin View Post
    Another reason to host on your own server is ownership. If you look at the fine print for many of the photo sharing sites, by opening an account with them, you're giving them the right to use your photos. The extent of use varies from company to company, but most of the ones I've read assume some kind of rights.

I can't remember which one recently had a big blow-up about this. Their TOS essentially signed over complete ownership to the company. After word got out, they backed down. But it's still a danger. How many of you using a photo hosting site actually read all the way through the user agreement and understand what it says?
    I'll be the first to admit here that I don't read the user agreement wholly. But when it comes to pictures in the Web, I have this general understanding that whatever you post on the net does not become solely yours anymore. Anybody can download or copy-paste them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i store the photographs and images related to my blog on photobucket.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maporsche View Post
    I have this general understanding that whatever you post on the net does not become solely yours anymore. Anybody can download or copy-paste them.
    Anyone who copies your images without permission is stealing and when you find out you should immediately demand that they delete the images. If they do not do so then you should commence legal action against them. All serious web sites will take such action to protect what they own that is on the web. The fraction of web content that is actually in the public domain and therefore legal to copy is such a small fraction as to be effectively zero percent (at least until you add quite a few decimal places).

Why give away rights to your own images to a third party just so that you can store them somewhere that will make your web pages slower to load than if you hosted them yourself?

That is also a disadvantage in using one of the "free" blog services rather than hosting your own. The cost of using the "free" blog is that you give them the right to use the content you publish there however they want so that if there is any money to be made from it then they will be the ones to make it instead of you.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcaronan View Post
    Can someone help me out with this? I'm trying to host my own images. I made a new directory mydomain.com/images and I uploaded the picture there. But when I put in mydomain.com/images/pic.jpg in my browser, it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by jfLip; Aug 16, 2008 at 11:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than pay for image hosting, why not pay for web hosting, install wordpress via a couple clicks in Fantastico, and have your images uploaded to your own domain?
    Hostamina - Hosting You Can Rely On!
    - Providing High Quality Hosting with Personalized Support
    - Will help you install, configure, and even build your website.
    - No Overselling! Get Hosted on Fast Servers with 99.9% Uptime!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Originally Posted by maporsche View Post
    I have this general understanding that whatever you post on the net does not become solely yours anymore. Anybody can download or copy-paste them.
    Anyone who copies your images without permission is stealing and when you find out you should immediately demand that they delete the images. If they do not do so then you should commence legal action against them. All serious web sites will take such action to protect what they own that is on the web. The fraction of web content that is actually in the public domain and therefore legal to copy is such a small fraction as to be effectively zero percent (at least until you add quite a few decimal places).

Why give away rights to your own images to a third party just so that you can store them somewhere that will make your web pages slower to load than if you hosted them yourself?

That is also a disadvantage in using one of the "free" blog services rather than hosting your own. The cost of using the "free" blog is that you give them the right to use the content you publish there however they want so that if there is any money to be made from it then they will be the ones to make it instead of you.
    There is that. But what I really meant was that, why put a picture on the internet without any protection if you knew someone is eventually going to copy-paste the pictures in the future?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pictures you put on the web all do have protection - it is called copyright law and it has been around for hundreds of years.

To put a picture on the web without protection requires that you specifically place something in the web page showing the picture that clearly states who created the picture and why it is no longer covered by copyright - either because it is so old it is out of copyright or because the copyright owner allows any use whatever to be made of the image and waives all claim.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let wordpress store my images on my web host.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photobucket are great for hosting images!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the new one http://www.pixhost.us
    They said give you unlimited space. Hopefuly it's true and reliable. Just try it out!