SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

malicious content

Hi

I have a situation and wonder if anyone knows how to combat it <snip>.

I basically own a website that does pretty good. Anyhow as any company it is impossible to keep every customer 100&#37; happy although I do my best.

A few months back a customer was not happy because essentially he was trying to get something for free from my site and I caught it and told him not to return to my site etc...

As a result this person has posted comments on various websites that are completely false. He has even gone as far as making statements showing that they were quoted by me!

So initially in retaliation I emailed 400 of my customers and asked them if they could help stop this abuse and post their buying experience on some of these posts to show that this person is lying. I had a big response and cleared it up.

However since then he has now gone to extremes and posted negative things about my website in over 10 complaints type websites and in the title of each post put my url. So when you do a search with my domain about 5 of these sites come up on page 1.

I have managed to get one of these sites to ban his ip and I have also filed a police report for malicious behaviour, harrassment and a few other things the police officer suggested and they are investigating him and hopefully will stop him!

In the meantime those pages still lurk on the internet. I am not so concerned other than the fact that they are on page one in google when my domain is searched.

So my question is:

<snip>

Does anyone have any idea on how to deal effectively with such a situation?

I bet I am not the first person this has happened to and probably not the last!

Any comments are welcome.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Shyflower; Aug 12, 2008 at 07:07. Reason: Solicitations at Site Point are Allowed only in the Marketplace

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally see it as a good thing rather than a bad thing, edit your main page to have comments and get your customers to make comments about the service ad a little 99.99&#37; satisfaction icon with (from a review of 4,000 customers)

somthing liek that, so whilst this guy brings you traffic from people going "i wonder how bad this site is really then" hes instantly discredited and brought you free traffic.

something like that
    Create a free blog | Sexy Costumes [Womens lingerie]

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can submit articles including your URL in the title to some authority websites, then you can get the first results in Google instead of his pages. Try to submit to Ezine Articles, Buzzle and OGB Reviews

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elhusseiny View Post
    You can submit articles including your URL in the title to some authority websites, then you can get the first results in Google instead of his pages. Try to submit to Ezine Articles, Buzzle and OGB Reviews
    Multiple submissions of articles end up with no rankings for any article except for the first. Article submission sites are generally not "authority sites". They're article submission sites.

I agree with Legendary. I'd work my butt off to get all the testimonials I could and put them where anyone accessing my site might see them. I also like the customer rating thing, except there you do open your site up to spammers and of course the occasional dis-satisfied customers. I guess if you do that, you should probably keep approval privileges!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few months back a customer was not happy because essentially he was trying to get something for free from my site and I caught it and told him not to return to my site etc...
    You say this like it goes without saying... but a general rule I follow is that if I 've done something that really upsets people, I've probably done something wrong. He may have been a jerkwad, but you probably could have handled it more tactfully, and now you have a valuable lesson about why that is.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although Mr. Ken and I disagree as to how some people view the web.... I agree with him this time. Sometimes a cooler head and an extraordinary amount of tact would have nipped this issue at the bud. Fighting fire with fire should be the last recourse.

But... since the damage has been done.... have your clients' testimonials be as visible as possible.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The suggestions you received here are good ones, but i think you need to do something about those google results.
    Use his own tactic. Post in many forums with your url as title to make his posts looses in many others.
    open many blogs (blogger, etc) and do the same.
    Do not put links to your site in those forum posts or blogs, to avoid look as spam. But the title will make it appear fisrt in google results.