User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    I blame laziness, that's the biggest bug in this beta mode. It's wayyy too convenient to follow than to figure out something on your own. Good is it or bad, who cares, all it has to be is somewhat good and everyone will follow.

As for telling someone they spent their $2000 in vain, that's a terrible move. Tell that *before* they buy, not after. That's same like saying "you're a fool" in their face, which obviously may very well result in black eye.
    Nah, php, Apple users tend to look at you pityingly and just nod, giving that smug, superior look that says "you're an idiot" without saying it. It's danged annoying it is.

I do agree about the problems inherent in following vs being able to understand and lead tho. I was following a chat topic on a certain subject the other day, and the logs got cross posted so everyone could read all the comments and follow the arguments that were put forth. At least 80% of the people who wanted to join in wanted a summary of the arguments rather than read about 3 screens of discussion. Sad really.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    My PC worked out of the box, yet according to Apple that doesn't happen.
    Apple says that? where? I didn't know they used such a bad marketing. It is definately a wrong move.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Apple says that? where? I didn't know they used such a bad marketing. It is definately a wrong move.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABAliXGs4oo
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2synapses View Post
    Nah, php, Apple users tend to look at you pityingly and just nod, giving that smug, superior look that says "you're an idiot" without saying it. It's danged annoying it is.
    What a bunch of nonsense. It is only your own feeling of inferiority that makes you assume such a thing.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    Been ages since I had a Mac, so I don't know how things are now... but I can tell you that they have a good point with PC... When I bought my laptop in January, I had problems with Vista. I solved them by installing Vista 64, but I had so much trouble finding the drivers.

It is also true that it came with a lot of things I dind't want like trial versions that I had to uninstall, and that the first thing it does when it is connected to internet is to update itself (but I don't think this is a bad thing)

Still, I am not sure if this ad is very smart, furthermore because they don't tell you that they are comparing a normal pc with an iMac which "doesn't have all the other pieces in other boxes".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Been ages since I had a Mac, so I don't know how things are now... but I can tell you that they have a good point with PC... When I bought my laptop in January, I had problems with Vista. I solved them by installing Vista 64, but I had so much trouble finding the drivers.

It is also true that it came with a lot of things I dind't want like trial versions that I had to uninstall, and that the first thing it does when it is connected to internet is to update itself (but I don't think this is a bad thing)
    Ah yes, the infernal bloatware, installed in the vain hope that you will when it ceases to work sometime down the road, simply cough up your hard earned cash and give it to them because of either a)laziness, or b) stupidity. Most people do either one or the other, and thus keep those people in business and perpetuating the problems.

Kinda sad really.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true, but I notice it's more of a problem of local retail stores rather than manufacturers. For instance, I bought this HP laptop completely ready to work and not a sign of any trial software - either full or none. I bought another laptop some time ago of a local brand and that was the case also. So technically I've no idea what you're talking about Choose stores carefully.
    Saul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, and I simply grab the system disks and reinstall the OS as soon as I can out of the box, both to remove the crap that I don't need, want or care about, and to cut down the size of the install to save disk space.

When I worked in retail a very long time ago, my boss used to insist that every machine I sold out the door had an advertising screen installed. I nodded and quickly wrote a little script that removed the package on first boot and my boss was happy, as he'd sometimes hover and watch my installs, not knowing that as soon as MY customer got the machine home, HIS little adware would go 'poof.' He never caught on, but I had so much repeat business he had no reason to complain.

I built up a huge customer list, and three years after I'd both quit the store, and the city, former customers would call me for tech help (provided on a cash basis) and buying help (provided for free.) Mostly because I wouldn't lie to them, and they knew it.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relating back to the XLCowBoy's original post: Customers of all sorts in all areas of design need a crutch to relate to you as a designer what they want. Those customers have no idea how a designer could give them an original design because they can not envision it. This crutch is something they pick up by looking around and finding either the most popular design of some kind or one that appeals to them for one reason or another. Apple has such designs, they are innovative and design with a wonderful sense of style, very appealing and desirable.

Now they come to you Mr. Designer with the hope that you can give them something that obviously works for other people -- Apple being just one of the possibilities -- disregarding the copy cat idea which they do not see as morally wrong, disregarding your ability as a designer to create original work. This customer only wants a tool (you) to do the copying because he does not know better.

As a designer it is your obligation to try to convince this client that what he is asking you to do is wrong. But it takes a spine of steel to do so and most designers can not afford to say no to juicy jobs just because their ethics gets in the way. It is a dilemma all of us that work in the field of design face, it is a major headache and has caused many of us to quit working for clients.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saul