SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Research vs. Expertise

Two of the most prominent tips I've picked up from successful bloggers is the importance of being an expert in your subject, as well as doing proper research to supplement posts. I guess I'm wondering what "percentage" of each factor goes in to making a successful blog. I'm sure it would vary depending on the author, but it would be nice to hear first-hand from some of the seasoned veterans. How much of your posts are built on research, and how much on your own expertise?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well as you go along you start accumulating expertise from the amount of research you've been doing, so at first it's a lot of research and a little expertise, but starts to even out and then switch.
    Nick . all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream
    Show someone you care, send them a virtual flower.
    Good deals on men's watches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, in the beginning a lot of research is required. As your expertise expands less research will be required to achieve quality, but it also doesn't mean less research should be performed. As your expertise expands, your readership expands, the expertise of your readers increases and their expectations follow.
    Scriptalicious SEO Scripts
    Save 20% with coupon code SPROCKS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    experties came from research... so without applying research on your work... you will not become an expert.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bootzy View Post
    Two of the most prominent tips I've picked up from successful bloggers is the importance of being an expert in your subject, as well as doing proper research to supplement posts. I guess I'm wondering what "percentage" of each factor goes in to making a successful blog. I'm sure it would vary depending on the author, but it would be nice to hear first-hand from some of the seasoned veterans. How much of your posts are built on research, and how much on your own expertise?
    Well, if you’re an expert on a particular subject, it means that you’ve put together a lot of research in that field.

In any case, without research no one can be an expert in any niche.
    Is your Blog Dying? Resuscitate It: Take This Survey Now!
    http://www.lazyblogging.com/bcSurvey.html

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies...I know my question seemed a bit obvious...I guess what I was really trying to ask is whether someone has to be a truly full-blown expert on a subject to start a successful blog, or if relying primarily on research is doable at first. Seems like my question is answered though!

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Expertise comes two ways, from experience and research. If you've done something your whole life, you probably don't need to research it much to write about it as an expert. However, if you want to be a real authority on a subject, then even so you will research to find the views of others and use them either to back up your expertise or challenge them if they disagree with yoru point of view.

There really isn't a percentage.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bootzy View Post
    Not all of us start blogging in a topic with expertise. Even i, at first i dont know anything about muscle pain, but as i blog, i learn a lot. (Im not an expert til now, but i know a lot more on what i am blogging!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Research and expertise should be hand in hand.. Even though your expert on your field, you still need to research for new approach or new technologies or new tools for your field. You need to be updated all the times if you want to maintain your level of expertise.
    Can't afford your dream house? Home Loan Calculator can help you.

Asian Tourism | Malaysia Property |USA Debt Settlement

********* user
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you do not need to be an expert.
    In my university years, I started blogging by writing my own notes online so they will be available online when I am at University after one day, I forgot my notes.

Write like you are talking to people who are beginners. Start from the basics and become more advanced as you and others learn.

BTW I still get good traffic from those notes. Who would have thought that other people would find useful. Plus I become more motivated in studying since I knew it would be useful to other people.

The power of blogging is great IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both require responsiveness & validation to prove it.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the first thing to do before you became an expert is to have a good research on your work. The definition of expertise is like mastering a skill or knowledge. You have to work hard in order to "become an expert" on your chosen field. In blogging, we can research on certain topics we would like to feature, as the years will come -- you already mastered it. =)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to write about something, you'll have to believable to the viewers. You'll have to appear as an expert. And to be like one is to make various research and talk about it. In the end, you become the expert because you have accumulated knowledge on the subject.