User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice for picking a new CMS

Hey all,

I've been running a small music review website for about 2 years now and doing most all of the web development & design on my own. It's been running on PHP-Nuke, and we have a forum that runs on phpBB3. Since day one I've had to do a lot of work with the code in Nuke to make the site look and operate how I want, and I'm getting to the point of thinking it would work a lot better and easier in a basic blog format. I am so fed up with Nuke I can't even stand it anymore.

We have about 10 contributing writers and an editor, so we would still need support for multi-writer functionality with a permissions system. I've used WordPress before and have really enjoyed it, so that seems like a great option to me.

At the same time, we use our forum quite a bit, particularly for the staff to communicate about tasks and whatnot. phpBB3 has been amazing, definitely one of the best forum platforms I've used, but I've struggled for months to successfully bridge it with my Nuke site in order to have one common user table so that people only need 1 account for everything. At this point I'm really looking to minimize the amount of coding I need to do, so I'd ideally like to avoid having to jump through hoops in order to get this kind of functionality.

From what I've read, it seems like Drupal might be another good option. If I'm not mistaken, Drupal has both blogging and forum functionality, though neither are as good as WordPress or phpBB3 separately. Still, I'm thinking I might be willing to sacrifice some quality in order to get both functions under one user system so I wouldn't have to do as much coding.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hi bootzy and welcome to the forum

In my personal opinion I like wordpress and from what I remember there is a bridge between wp and phpBB3 which allows shared logins.

That is the route I would take. I have used Joomla and Drupal and although fireboard is a useful addition - I just plain didnt like the CMS!
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....