SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adobe software - Why does it cost so much???

G'day to all,

I have been looking for sometime make purchase on the Adobe CS3 Web Premium pack. Retailing at a value of approximately AU$2845 here in Australia, I was a little dis-heartened when I had seen that price as it is certainly not spare change I can come up with.

Browsing through the interent I went to the adobe.com website to find that they sell the US version for US$1799 which equates to approximately AU$1960.

It is almost $1000 difference.

Why is it so different in price???

I contacted adobe "support" and make enquiries as to why. The operator I spoke to was pleasent, however, had no "real" answer to my question. Then she continued on to advice me that I was unable to purchase the American version as when a purchase is made they track the destination of where the product is sold.

Can anyone justify why they have done this??
    Regards,
    BJ Duncan

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the same in the UK - with everything.

Currently one dollar is worth 51p (0.51 GBP), yet most digital products are the same in USD as they are in GBP.

Wireless routers, for example. I bought a new router a few months back and it cost £63 ($123.16 USD) - yet, on the American version of the site (which has stores in the USA and UK and products made in China I think), it was $63 - half the price.

TBH I think that most professional software is overpriced anyway. If they sold it at half price ($899.99) they would probably earn the same (because more people would buy it) in the first sales wave, then get more people promoting it (because more people use it) to their friends/family/coworkers.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they think you Aussies are rolling in it :-P

on a more serious note: I havent got a clue why they would jack the price up that much, dont you know someone from America who you could trust to buy the software for you?

Hows NSW? I lived in Sydney for six months, loved it.

secure webapps for all Aleksejs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My unserious explanation is that Adobe has joined "fair trade" movement and you in Australia have to pay more because:
    Quote Originally Posted by WikiPedia
    It contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading conditions to, and securing the rights of, marginalized producers and workers.
    So basically it is - because you in Australia are too rich, whereas poor CEOs of Adobe in USA are barely making their ends meet.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    CS3, Flash, Flex, DW they are all extortionate but they charge it because...... WE KEEP PAYING!

If we stopped paying they would have to reduce the price or go out of business - is that going to happen - no.
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a real bugbear of mine when companies do this.

There have been loads of articles written about Adobe's pricing structure and all Abode say is:

We set pricing in each market based on customer research, local market conditions and the cost of doing business ... the EU has 10 major languages, 4 major currencies ... the costs of doing business in European markets are significantly higher per unit of revenue than in the US.
    No doubt they use a similar argument for why they are ripping off the Australians as well.

Couple of links:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04...wice_you_wish/
    http://www.amanwithapencil.com/adobe.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is the case, you may buy the same from the United States of America, using your Credit Card and paying a tiny interest on the international purchase made online.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...then pay a bomb for shipping?
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. The shipping cost will charge less than he has indicated the prices in Australia anyway. Some companies do the free shipping as well. Over night shipping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SEOCompany View Post
    If this is the case, you may buy the same from the United States of America, using your Credit Card and paying a tiny interest on the international purchase made online.
    One of the responses I got from the operator when I spoke to her was that apparently Adobe also conduct checks on the origins of the credit card used.

Am I really that gullible to believe that???
    Regards,
    BJ Duncan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is expensive, but well worth it.

Check you local junior college, sign up for any class, and buy it cheaper at the bookstore. There's always great classes to take, and the bonus of buying cheaper software just makes it all the better.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think you can buy USA licenced Adobe software and install it in the UK... Otherwise I would have purchased everything that way. It's a blatent rip-off whichever way you analyse the price difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    I don't think you can buy USA licenced Adobe software and install it in the UK... Otherwise I would have purchased everything that way. It's a blatent rip-off whichever way you analyse the price difference.
    Geo-tagging software? I seriously doubt it. There is no reason why shouldn't be able to do that.