User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating a Message Bar

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a "message bar" in my web app that is similar to the ones on Firefox/IE when the block a pop up. I was wondering if it were possible to use CSS to style it so that if there is a message set in the admin panel, it'll show up and push the rest of the page lower down?

I've been thinking about it and not getting very far and any form of pointers would be helpful

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    Hi all,

I'm trying to create a "message bar" in my web app that is similar to the ones on Firefox/IE when the block a pop up. I was wondering if it were possible to use CSS to style it so that if there is a message set in the admin panel, it'll show up and push the rest of the page lower down?

I've been thinking about it and not getting very far and any form of pointers would be helpful

Cheers.
    Are you talking about an "Alert" pop up? I've seen quite a few versions of this on various CSS tutorials. maybe Google?
    Bruce ...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bemmott View Post
    Are you talking about an "Alert" pop up? I've seen quite a few versions of this on various CSS tutorials. maybe Google?
    You mean this? http://www.bioneural.net/2006/04/01/...alert-message/

Not quite. I need it to appear at the top of the screen (just like when Firefox blocks a popup), and I'll need it to magically shift the rest of the page down to accomodate that...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now this is just wierd. Googling for CSS message bar now returns THIS thread as the top result! That's in what? An hour?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you specifically looking for something that goes outside of the browser viewport (like a blocked popup) or something that appears at the top of the viewport (at coordinates 0,0), which then pushes the rest of the page down? The code in the article you linked to can do it as long as absolute positioning is not involved.