SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Best Credit Card Processor/Merchant Account?

I have been using 2Checkout.com for the past 3 years to process my credit card payments, and then all of a sudden today I find myself in need of a new processor because 2Checkout decided to change their terms and not allow virtual purchases. I am looking for a good solution to continue processing credit cards on my site with hopefully lower fees than 2Checkout, but equal ease (hopefully). I need to be able to process payments like with PayPal's IPN. I am not really sure where to start looking and was hoping for some guidance/suggestions.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're in the US and have good credit, you have hundreds of options. Google "merchant account". I use CDG Commerce myself.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am in the US, but my company has only been incorporated for a few months, and I personally have no credit record because I have never bought anything on credit. I have been reading some articles here on Sitepoint and a few other places and it appears there is no way I will be able to get a merchant account. I figure this means my options have now become quite limited?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to ever buy on credit to have a credit record. Here, go to Credit Karma and see if you get a score. It's free, no credit card required. What do you have to lose applying?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, that is a really great site, hadn't heard of that before, thanks! Interesting, I have a "fair" credit score, I guess that wasn't good enough for PayPal Payments Pro to accept me.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and then all of a sudden today I find myself in need of a new processor because 2Checkout decided to change their terms and not allow virtual purchases
    Virtual purchases? Do you mean digital/downloadable content or like a VCC? Or am I way off base?
    <snip>
    Want to learn more about processing?
    Check out our E-Commerce Blog

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My company deals in online gaming, so basically users are purchasing upgrades to their accounts.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't mean gambling when I say online gaming, I mean online role playing games.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jls33fsls View Post
    My company deals in online gaming, so basically users are purchasing upgrades to their accounts.
    Wow that seems like a big loss to 2CO, I wonder what inspired the change in policy.
    <snip>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EC Suite_Russell View Post
    Wow that seems like a big loss to 2CO, I wonder what inspired the change in policy.
    It was probably generating a high amount of fraud, and no processor can let their chargeback rates rise above about 1% and stay in business.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, well I have only had 1 chargeback with them in 2 years.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    It was probably generating a high amount of fraud, and no processor can let their chargeback rates rise above about 1% and stay in business.
    Right, I work for the same type of processor as 2CO though, and this kind of business model doesn't average anywhere near a 1% chargeback rate for us. There are some industries I could definitely see pushing the limit on allowable chargebacks but subscription services aren't it.
    <snip>