SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safe search engine reporting? WebPosition Reporter blocked by Google?

Hi all,

To summerise my problem - My company now operates over 100 websites. I need a solution to report search engine rankings (mainly Google) roughly once a month for each of these sites, with 2-10 search terms per site.

I have tried the 30-day trial version of WebPosition 4 which worked great for that last few days but now fails when reporting from Google, and is possible they have banned/blocked my IP. I have emailed WebPosition regarding this. Unfortunately I have been fairly oblivious to Google not liking automated searches on their servers and I should have done more research on the topic, and the documentation for WebPosition makes it look very 'SE friendly'.

A couple of questions regarding this;
    • If Google has banned my IP because of the WebPosition Reporter, would Google search work at all on our internal IP? It is working fine at the moment for all our 50+ employees that use Google to search.
    • Is it possible that Google would ban the sites I ran the reports for?

I recently read this article that states by simply running the reporter will not get any sites banned. I hope this is the case!

My last question would be, what is the safest way to report on over 100 websites for different search terms? I presume it would be manually, which would take forever, so I am expecting the worst

Looking forward to your replies.

Many thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the paid version of webposition and the pro version on WebCEO and since Friday neither have been working for UK position checks. Seems like Google have changed something to stop people using automated software. Hopefully both pieces of software will find a fix but until then

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper? View Post
    I have the paid version of webposition and the pro version on WebCEO and since Friday neither have been working for UK position checks. Seems like Google have changed something to stop people using automated software. Hopefully both pieces of software will find a fix but until then
    Thank you for your response, has anyone else had similar problems or opinions on the first post?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry this is out of my league, 100 sites, nice job hope they are all ticking over nicley for you. Keep up the hard work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WebCEO have released a patch that seems to have fixed things. Would recommend it anyway Rich as their reporting is a lot better than web position, can export it in different formats and even schedule it to run weekly/monthly and email it out automatically. They have a free version but if you have that many clients its worth the investment to have all the features.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe to go with manual reporting.

Software can not be efficient as much as human can do,

Use some online tools for creating reports.

WebCEO has many reviews some of them are preferred to choose it, and some of them are having negative reviews about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say, WEBCEO will help in this regard.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Ok... a few quick questions for you

1) Any luck yet on getting Webposition to work yet? I only use it for checking the rankings of sites. I guess I like the look of the reports... easy to pass along to client.

2) Is WebCEO that great? Can I get good looking position reports like I do with web position?
    Any other tool with Web CEO that stands out as "AMAZING"?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google is explicit in the Webmaster Guidelines:
    Don't use unauthorized computer programs to submit pages, check rankings, etc. Such programs consume computing resources and violate our Terms of Service. Google does not recommend the use of products such as WebPosition Gold™ that send automatic or programmatic queries to Google.
    If they detect you, they will block your IP. They won't ban sites, otherwise we would start doing automated queries on our competitors.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I add another suggestion?

We (interwebbing.com) actually do the reporting for you. Everything is done from our servers, so you don't have to worry about IP blocks or anything else. Whilst software users have been having a nightmare this last month, our clients have been fine because we handle all the updates for you - you don't even notice the changes.

rawkinrich100 - if you only want 2 - 10 phrases monthly, then many of your sites will be free with us.

I know it's a blatant plug, but it's spot on topic!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rawkinrich100 ~ I've had the same problem myself with WP4 not working on Google since the middle of August. Wanted to let you know they've got it fixed now. After downloading the most recent update today from WebTrends I'm now able to create ranking reports from all SE's including Google. Although interwebbing is a great program for a good price, I'd rather not have to reload all of the sites we track into another tool.

One more thing, in order to get the WP4 Reporter feature to work with Google, I had to de-check the Google API box in the application settings.