SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PLEAS HELP 'timed release' of 64 Video Tutorials depending on members sign up date

I need some guidance as to how to build a user environment that allows the 'timed release' of video content depending on each members sign up date.

There are 64 videos and each user should only be able to see 1 video one week at a time...

(i.e. they will only be able to view the videos for the amount of weeks they've been signed up for)
    E.G. videos 1-7 if they've been a member for 7 weeks and videos 1-64 if they've been a member for 64 weeks etc.

I think this 'may' be quite simple to implement, although I'm not quite sure about the best way to go about it.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction for the best CMS/Framework to do this with?

I've tested out a number of options, inluding Joomla, Drupal, Simple Cms, Modx and a few others, but I'm getting frustrated with all of them, as there 'seem' to be no straightforward solutions.

I've been working on Modx for a while now, but the documentation is not straight-forwards, and my programming skills are still beginner/intermediate. The sites I have built so far have been static ones using XHTML/CSS. ... I have some experience with PHP from a web-technologies course.

if anyone has any simple straight-forward suggesions
    for Drupal, Modx or Joomla, (or indeed anything else that's secure and relatively quick) PLEASE HELP!

any tips would be gratefully recieved...
    Last edited by cosmicmonkey; Aug 9, 2008 at 07:52.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could be easily acheived in Drupal. One way I can think of off the top of my head is this:

Create 64 roles, one for each week, in Drupal (messy, but it would function). Have a module you created which uses hook_cron to call a function which, for each user, checks their registration date and assigns the user the next role on the list if that user has moved from, say, week 3 to week 4. Set access to each piece of content depending on role using something like the Nodeaccess module. Job done!

Ten minutes in admin and maybe 50 lines of PHP code.

You could do it more elegantly by writing a more complex module, but that would work and would be simple. Half a day's work for a decent Drupal developer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the tips Greg... simple suggestions and advice on modules etc are the sort of info I need right now.

From a programming point of view, I know that the 'timed release' is quite simple to do... and really, I'd like to build my site from scratch...

Thing is though, I'm a video editor whose taken on web design over the last few years; and programming php is something 'fairly' new to me. I've got a good beginners grasp of it, but still got to gather some more experience.

& have got to get this thing up and running quite quickly.

Regarding this particular project, I'm doing ok with MODx, but I found Drupal quite appealing. They both work in very different ways.

However, I'd like to gain as much experience as I can with various CMS, so I can work out exactly which ones to use in future.

(Also need to work out which one I'm going to definately use before I get too deep into it, but I'm designing things so it's as easy as posible to transfer from one to another.)

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome. I'm Drupal all the way now. Made the leap about a year and a half ago and never looked back. I think you're right to review the market carefully before committing. Drupal still looks strongest to me, but if I were coming in fresh I'd definitely have a long, hard look at Symfony.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Symfony... now that's something I haven't checked out yet...

downloading it now.

but also keeping a close eye on modx cms & future versions

will update on how this all goes - It's all shaping up nicely one way and another - the videos for the project are looking good, just a question of the right framework for delivery... All good experience

thanks again greg... like I say - all tips welcome...
    Last edited by cosmicmonkey; Aug 17, 2008 at 04:25.