SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which navigation scheme is best?

Which navigation scheme do you use, and which one you think is the best??

But this i mean like side navigation...top navigation, roll over navigation, static, flash, frames, etc..

Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i beleive the more basic the navigation the better.

usually if the site has many links and/or is has alot of content i put the links on the left because it is widely accepted that this is the default area for navigation.

alternatly, if the site doesnt have many links i will put it across the top below the logo/header

try not to make nav links on the top and the left, the only time i do this is when i have main links on the left and maybe 3-4 sub links across the top.
    "Mankind cannot define memory, yet it defines mankind"
    -- Project 2501, Ghost in the Shell

Smarty | PEAR | PHP Manual | MySQL Manual

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am partial to side and top. Depending on the design both work. I also like basic rollovers with detailed explanations as to what or where that menu item will take the user. But that is just a preference of mine.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the side/top navigation the best, but i don't mind DHTML menus as long as they work in most browsers.

Flash is also a nice change that I enjoy as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side and top, obviously. Flash can be kind of restrictive as far as search engine indexing - the same goes for frames - so text links using CSS rollovers are best, IMO.

.net install meltdown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top for the main sections of the site. Side for links to child or sibling pages. Bottom for paging if necessary, links to main sections again and feedback.

I too prefer simple navigation with some form of popup or disjointed rollover to describe the link.

Had a dhtml menu on an earlier version of my site, and inexperienced users had trouble with it.

As a developer, my Flash skills ==0 so I'm flashless, as a surfer on a dialup I hate flash and usually don't bother with flash sites.

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like flash navigation, but the whole site would have to be flash inorder for it to be effective in most cases. BUT its very difficult to tell which is a link as they dont normally follow standards for links.

its always good to have top naviagtion however you have to choose between side & bottom navigation to allow good usability just look at sitepoint for this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plain HTML links are in most situations the best option to go for simply because search engines like them and any words between each link will give more wieght to your ranking for that term.