Thread: WordPress Slugs

SitePoint Addict mixmastermidori's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WordPress Slugs

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to WordPress, and I'm trying to get my URLs to include some keywords. I've added the SEO Title Tag plug-in, but it doesn't change my URLs when I update the slugs. I'm wondering if I need to customize the permalinks somehow? Does anyone know which tag I would use for the Custom permalink? Or am I missing something? They say that it should be used with Ultimate Tag Warrior, but that plug-in's page said that it's not compatible with new versions of WP?

I'm very confused...

Thanks for any help!

Smart programmer silver trophy M.Zeb Khan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use this tag in your Permalinks:

%post_title%

and see, good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response Mubarak. I added that tag to the Custom field of Permalinks, but it messed up the links to my pages. I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mixmastermidori View Post
    Thanks for the response Mubarak. I added that tag to the Custom field of Permalinks, but it messed up the links to my pages. I don't know what I'm doing wrong...
    Ok. First of all, always be careful when you are messing with permalinks. They will break your links. Also, ignore the urge to copy and paste whatever you see posted online, before actually knowing whats going on; not all advices are applicable for everyone. Here is official documents about wordpress permalinks.

1) Revert back to your original permalink.

2) Read the official permalink documentation I gave you above, and decide what actually applies to you.

3) Now change your permalinks.

4) Once you decided and moved to a new permalink structure: use this plugin to automatically redirect traffic from your old permalinks to your news one. Permalinks Moved Permanently.

From the plugin readme:
    If you just migrated your Wordpress blog from one permalink structure to another, and you don't want to lose Pagerank or traffic that accesses your blog through the old permalinks, this is for you.

Right before the old permalink generates a 404, this simple plugin grabs the slug from the end of the request and checks if there's a post with this slug living somewhere else on your blog. If so, it will generate a "301 Moved Permanently" error, which automatically forwards your visitor (and Googlebot) to the new location of your post. It's simple, but effective. No configuration options, just plug and play.

God luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Pavelmaha! It worked great! I appreciate your great instructions.
    Nature's Sunshine herbs and supplements