SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Hard Drive on Dell

I have a Dell Insprion 9300. I took the hard drive out because Dell replaced the monitor. After putting the hard drive back in the hard drive spins much less. However, it does do a spin ever so seconds. It just doesn't sound right. Of course, I don't know what a normal spin cycle for a dell laptop hard drive should sound like. Of course, it might be a fan;I don't know. The hard drive light goes on each time the spin sound comes on. But it spins less than before. The Dell is no longer under warranty. Any suggestions?
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possibly removed the drive when it wasn't parked? They might have changed some bios settings on you when you shipped the notebook in to them...or, they could have easily swapped you out with another system / check the serial # vs your records. Lastly, the system could have been damaged during repair or while shipping it back to you.
    intragenesis, llc professional web & graphic design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yes, it could be a fan, again check the bios settings, it may have had the performance settings changed. Pull the drive out and fire up the computer...it should still POST -- if you still hear the sound then its not the drive, and like you stated, the fan speeding up and down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by holmescreek View Post
    Possibly removed the drive when it wasn't parked? They might have changed some bios settings on you when you shipped the notebook in to them...or, they could have easily swapped you out with another system / check the serial # vs your records. Lastly, the system could have been damaged during repair or while shipping it back to you.
    I removed the drive myself. What does it mean when you say "wasn't parked?"
    Is there a way to resolve this issue?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The inside of a hard drive have platters like a record. A head, like a record player arm, moves above the platter to read information. When an OS shuts down the computer, it moves that head from above the platter, i.e. "parks" the drive.

If it were not for this, the head would still be above the platter and jarring it causes the head to scratch the platter.

Most laptop drives auto park themselves, but, still a possibility that your drive was damaged in this way.

Again, boot the machine without the drive...if the noise stops, you know it is the drive. Next, check the bios settings, especially anything to do with system performance that slows or speeds up the system.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by holmescreek View Post
    The inside of a hard drive have platters like a record. A head, like a record player arm, moves above the platter to read information. When an OS shuts down the computer, it moves that head from above the platter, i.e. "parks" the drive.

If it were not for this, the head would still be above the platter and jarring it causes the head to scratch the platter.

Most laptop drives auto park themselves, but, still a possibility that your drive was damaged in this way.

Again, boot the machine without the drive...if the noise stops, you know it is the drive. Next, check the bios settings, especially anything to do with system performance that slows or speeds up the system.
    Thanks I'll do that.
    And if it is the hard drive how do you recommend me fixing it?
    Should or could I get a new hard drive from dell?
    Is there any remedy?
    Thanks again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay I took the hard drive out and started the computer. All it did was have a steady sound, as if it was a fan. When I put the hard drive back in the fan sound will start for a short while and go silent. Hmmm, can this be a fan problem or a hard drive problem?