SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we have any hikers here?

One of the things I enjoy is a nice walk in the woods. A few weeks ago I took my nephew and my son on a 6 - 8 mile hiking trip.

When we stopped for a rest break my son and nephew found a trap door spider, which was cool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjAkuKlzEBU

While we were filtering some drinking water, my sons water filter messed up. So I had to break out my 12 year old PUR to get things done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZKwpCjf8s

About 30 minutes into the hike my son realized he lost his water bottle out of his pack. Even though these packs have a mesh pouch on the outside, be careful when storing gear in them.

Losing the water bottle had a profound impact on my sons emotional state. He slipped into a "oh crap" state.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lucky it happened on a hike and not a trek. Something like that could ruin the whole thing if not worse (survival-wise). But I guess it's learning on the short hikes that prepares one for the longer excursions.
    Nowadays I'm lucky if I find time for a walk (other than 1-4 miles around town doing errands) let alone a hike.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    885 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    I don't much enjoy it myself, but ask Tijmen about it. He lives to hike.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry im not hikers mybe ....i hope so..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have experienced hitch hiking (I ran away from home..lol) but not hiking as in with a good objective or a place to go. I don't like to be stuck in a forest or a place that seems isolated or is really scary..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the type of area we were in, with woods and streams running through the area. The one closest to the camera is my son, the one up front is my nephew.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From time to time.

I've been on quite a few moderate hikes last year and some random trail-walks in between.

If you're up for a real challenge, plan a hike in Montserrat. It's a volcano island in the Caribbean... small, and literally nothing but hills.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you. I really should get out more and excercise. I used to love hiking and camping as a kid.

Computers have got a lot to answer for.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    I don't much enjoy it myself, but ask Tijmen about it. He lives to hike.
    O Yeah The more hikes the better!

Walked 6 of them last year in New Zealand, but if it wouldn't have been for a twisted knee I would done many more of them.

Walked the last one November last year, where 2 hikes that connected with each other, had a 1 days break in a small village and then continued to the next trek. Including that 1 days break, it took us 10 days to get to the other side. It was a bit hard from time to time, but I really enjoyed walking those 2 tracks together.

Its interesting how you don't really realize how hungry you can become after walking for so long. After we finished both of the tracks we drove to town and finally took a shower and had a good sleep. The morning after that started with a good breakfast in a restaurant, went to a sushi bar for lunch and to an Indian restaurant for dinner. And the next morning after that we made pancakes, and the eating just continued for the rest of the days after that.

I did realize later that we definitely should have been eating more food during the hike, but its one of these things that you learn by doing. It was first time that I ever walked for 9 days, next time I'll do that I will have a really good look into the kind of food that I will take with me. The weird thing was that both of use weren't feeling really hungry during the hike itself, but afterwards it looked like we hadn't had any food for days. I never had that problem with 3 or 4 day hikes.

Can't wait to get back there and do some more hiking! I just have to be patient, should be in New Zealand again by the end of next year
    Travel Photos on Flickr - Twitter

“Never give up. Never surrender”

SitePoint Enthusiast WickedGoddess's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time I went hiking I promised my self not to do that again.. my God, I could no longer get up from bed in the morning because of body pains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never get bored of hiking, any season, any place. I go hiking at least a few times a month when weather permits. The last vacation I took I hiked every trail I could find between and at destinations I was going to. I was pretty soar after a few days!
    A community environment where web designers can share their work:
    RateMyWebPage.net
    Check out and review some new and unique websites or submit your own

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedGoddess View Post
    The last time I went hiking I promised my self not to do that again.. my God, I could no longer get up from bed in the morning because of body pains.
    Maybe that means you should go on a few more. That way you will not be so sore afterwards.

SitePoint Enthusiast WickedGoddess's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
    Maybe that means you should go on a few more. That way you will not be so sore afterwards.
    Yup, they told me so.. but how can I make a few more when my knees are shaking by just looking at the mountain top

I just thanked God, I lost a lot of fats in my body coz of sweating.