SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist perpetual_dream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can one ask for a job salary before the interview?

Hello,

I have recently found a job which I meet its requirements. The job location is somehow far from my home, and I am not interested in conducting an interview "in case I was invited for" if the salary isn't within a certain range. Can I ask for the job salary along with the cv attachment email?

Thanks
    Tanzeelnet - Best arabic downloadsite
    Linux Hosting |Free Downloads |

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hum. You don't "ask" for a salary directly in an application but it's certainly common to include salary history and requirements in your resume and/ or cover letter, in fact, many companies prefer this.

However, when you explain the salary you want this early in the process you're tipping your hand. Let's say you wanted to make $75,000 and told a company this in your cover sheet but they were going to offer $85,000 and thought you were qualified for the job -- chances are you won't get a higher offer than what you've told them. Let's say they weren't going to offer more and in fact didn't want to consider anyone who made over $65,000. In this case they might not even talk to you which means you never get the chance to sell them on how great you are and how reasonable your requests is so there's no offer to be made.

You certainly want to be sure you're "on the same page" but ideally you want to get the company to cough up first, and if you can't do that, you at least want to tell them your range rather than your bottom line number. You also have to think beyond just straight dollars... does the new job have less costs (cheaper area to live, better public transit, free food) are the benefits better (equity, retirement, insurance) and other things should all play into your decision as should the actual quality of the role versus what you do now.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Evangelist perpetual_dream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ted
    Tanzeelnet - Best arabic downloadsite
    Linux Hosting |Free Downloads |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... well, if you do offer a range, bear in mind that they will instantly offer you the bottom of that range. What you should do is offer a fictitious range in which the lower number is actually your highest, and the higher is a pie in the sky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an employer, I always look at the person's previous job and see what this guy is willing to accept.

But of course I tend to ask the guy.

I usually look at what the person's worth is and I say a price.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before the interview? I guess its unethical. Maybe you can indicate your work/salary history on your application but never asked them right away about your desired pay. In most cases, employers would love to discover your expertise first then later on will base your efforts on how much you'll be earning. If its not enough, then you tell them honestly.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will only ask when they want to invite me for an interview!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

This is what I do. If I really want the job, I will investigate what the salary range this company usually offer. I can check out from salary.com or jpsdata.com. The second one is more useful as it give more detail information about salary for the title I am interested. With this number in mind, usually I will not blow the opportunity or join the company underpay.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a good idea to get salary expectations out in the open before the interview. If you are expecting too much then you can avoid going to the interview and wasting time.