SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you test in ISP Browser Shells?

Do you test your site in the ISP browsers? Mainly I am asking about AOL and MSN. Both act as a shell for Internet Explorer, though AOL is going to switch to Mozilla in their 8.0 version.

The reason I am asking is because the surrounding interface alters what available space you can have and do with. For instance MSN Explorer gives a side toolbar that effectively removes one step of screen resolution. I.E. if you are at 800 X 600 (the default in XP by the way) the web page gets about 640 X 480 resolution. AOL/Compuserves interface is very cluttered with up to 5 popup ads when you sign on but it gives you more browser space.

I personally have been using MSN Explorer quite a bit lately. It has a nice easy to use interface and quick access to MSN features. You also don't have to pay to use it, just need a Passport account which you have if you use MSN Messenger.

I have checked my sites in both and they work just fine. I was curious if others have done so as well.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I have a long and bad history with AOL, and certainly won't go through the trouble of making it easier for AOL users.

And to get access to AOL again I'd probably have to sign up for the one month free subscription and then cancel it... testing in IE and netscape I do because its easy... but I've not tried much else :P

Wow, I'm both surprised and disheartned that 800x600 is the default resolution for XP I test my sites in 800x600, and thats really my primary concern, but I always make sure they expand properly to fit larger resolutions w/o just centering the page and leaving a ton of blank space!

If ISP's are limiting the users already small screen size of 800x600 to 640x600 by plastering advertisements and links to their stuff all over it, too bad for the user. To make my sites fit in a width of 640 would be a huge restriction, and for what? I'm just guessing but maybe 3% of users?

I've also been finding that recently, as I am doing more and more html coding and testing more browsers, that I am beginning to learn the "tricks" or whatever to each browser, and its becoming much and much easier to make my sites work in different browsers, I have even designed a whole site and only tested in in Netscape 4 at the very end, and it (much to my surprise) worked fine. So i expect that the sites I test in netscape 3 and up and IE 4+ will probably work in most ISP browser shells, but I certainly do not test them in them.
    Marc Gugliuzza
    marc.gugliuzza.com

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I test in AOL, but I kind of forgot about MSN Explorer, thanks for the reminder.
    And to get access to AOL again I'd probably have to sign up for the one month free subscription and then cancel it...
    I was able to find a friend who still had AOL so everyonce in a while I spend a couple hours over there getting mad at the world...

Keep it Real,
    Dan
    Dan's Site
    Some Current Sites:365 Puns! # Joke It! #
    Pride & Joy!
    Current Projects: ArcadeRat! # Scouting News # yW

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I don't. For the simple reason I don't know anyone using AOL so I really can't check it. I probably would give it a try just to see but if it doesn't support most of the compliance I may not go ahead and code for it. Depending on the contract or job of course.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.