SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: A Desk of Wood

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Desk of Wood

Im thinking about buying a peice of wood for like 30 dollars thats 12 feet long and maybe 3 feet deep, probably has to be plywood, then stack in on some crates rather than buy a desk because i want to save some mn\oney,
    anyone know anyone that has done this before?

Or do they make plastic desks anywhere? I want something easy to move!

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prefab kitchen counters work well. They have finished edges, have some kind of formica type coating, a splash board in the back. Holes for cables can be drilled easily, the boards come in many different length and are 3 feet deep. Crates would work fine as supports, so would file cabinets.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    juat make sure that the wood is smooth and splinter free. Also bear in mind that a 'natural', raw wood will be murder on your forearms if untreated. I would suggest beeswax for the top to give it a sheen and a bit of slip so it doesnt irritate your skin.

Given the choice between wood and plastic - wood everytime
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Last I knew, plywood comes 8x4 not 12x3, but a desk 12 feet wide would most likely sag in the middle if it was unsupported and had any weight on it. So unless you want any pencils and spilled coffee rolling to your electrical equipment, plan the design carefully.
    If you don't care about looks as much as cost and portability, it sounds like a reasonable solution to me. How many college dorms have plywood and crate shelving?
    Keep in mind that plywood will not provide a smooth writing surface so you may need a spare magazine or something for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was admiring a clients desk the other day only to find it was in actual fact a flush veneer internal door "blank" bought from a DIY store supported on a two drawer filing cabinet at one end and a couple of wooden legs at the other which he had given a paint job. He had made it when he started out and kept it for sentimental reasons. I think you can still get those door blanks for about £10 ($20) which is probably cheaper than buying a sheet of ply, cutting it and edging it etc; plus it's got a wipe clean surface. Just a thought.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    old door and sawhorses work good. you can find them at garage sales or places that salvage building materials for cheaper than new.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Building your own is a neat idea, and since I've got to get a new desk soon I may look into doing one myself. I had thought of buying the wood for it before, but wood bought in small quantities is as expensive as a decent new desk. Although, my uncle was a carpenter until he switched career so I was thinking of asking him to teach me how to do joins etc.

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look on an auction site, you might find a nice one that's within your budget range.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make a table yourself, but since you will likely be spending a lot of time with the table, you have to make sure it's build properly. If not, you might end up with some long-term injuries. To get the measurements, the easiest way is to go to a friend who has an adjustable table. Adjust the table to the level where you are comfortable, and measure the height. Assuming you have some basic woodworking skills, it is easy to build the table, and even get a good-looking result - the best part being that you can customise it completely, with cable sinks and holes where you want them.

In the end, you have to remember, that you get what you pay for. The materials may save you a little, but compared to a decent IKEA table, it probably won't be more than USD 100. Considering the amount of time you will have to put it to get a good job, buying a budget table will likely prove to be a better solution.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just use an old fashioned fold out card table? Or maybe a desk from a place like goodwill, I believe they have furniture?
    <snip>
    Want to learn more about processing?
    Check out our E-Commerce Blog