SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best Ruby and ROR book?

I am currently on a intermediate to proficient level of non OO PHP. I would like a book that will teach me Ruby as well as the concept of object oriented programming. If there is such book that has Rails in it as well, that's great, otherwise what book should I use for this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.pragprog.com/titles/rails...-third-edition

&

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/rails2/

Both are very good books & both are covering Rails 2.0/2.1

HTH - Dave

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daveporter View Post

HTH - Dave
    Would they also give a good intro to Ruby itself as I have no knowledge of it whatsoever (syntax, etc.).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just depends how deep you want to get into Ruby.

The 'unofficial' bible for Ruby is nicknamed the Pickaxe book and can be found here:

http://www.pragprog.com/titles/ruby3/programming-ruby-3

You can also look at the table of contents for both of the other books I listed !

HTH - Dave

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This is a good guide on Ruby and quite entertaining. (although a biteccentric)
    It also has a good value as something you can read again and again.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i recently bought Beginning-Ruby-Novice-Professional which i tought was pretty good

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Version 1 on the Pickaxe is installed with One Click Ruby installer as part of the documentation. It's also available here:

http://whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/pickaxe/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O'Reilly has a very solid Ruby book (no Rails) called The Ruby Programming Language. I think it gives a better explanation of the most interesting aspects of Ruby, namely metaprograming and DSL creation, than the Pickaxe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really liked Ruby for Rails by David A. Black - I read it twice. Unfortunately it`s not up to date but it`s good to learn (more about) Ruby and especially its use in Rails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the one that written by obie fernandez (i forgot the title)
    that's quite good

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend Agile Web Development with Rails, and The Rails Way (for a more complete reference)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daveporter View Post
    http://www.pragprog.com/titles/rails...-third-edition

&

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/rails2/

HTH - Dave
    As of now I am reading "Simply Rails" and it's pretty good. He try his best not make it sound "boring" and he does a great job in that. If I have to make a complaint is that he does not mention "NetBean" as a ruby editor. He mentions "textpad", "ultra edit", but no ide like "Eclipse(Aptana)" or "NetBean". So the way I'm learning RoR is read the chapter and try to do it in NetBean. Also, in this book it gives brief intro to Ruby language and it's sufficient in my opinion. Anyways, for all RoR noobs, give NetBean a try, you'll love it!

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Netbeans is an EXCELLENT IDE for developing [Ruby] Rails applications.
    For a very thorough training course on Ruby, Rails and Netbeans check out Sang Shin's site at javapassion.com.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Beginning Rails - From Novice to Professional a lot.

A more accurate title would be Beginning Rails - From Idiot to Novice but i digress..

Lentz Rails 2.0... it's Ok. There are better beginner books out there, but since his is 2.0 and recently updated I would consider it anyway.

After that the must-read is Agile Web Development. A new edition will come out on October 15, covering latest rails! (You can get the BETA PDF for 15 bucks right now).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of non-books that I like: the LearningRails podcast on iTunes, and Lynda.com's Ruby on Rails Essential Training video training—although the latter has not been updated for Rails 2.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply Rails is a great books to get started with Rails. The Obie Fernandez book mentioned earlier is called "The Rails Way." It's excellent though perhaps a bit above beginner level; great stuff in it but you may have to work to get it out.

As for Ruby, I learned more about ruby from The Poignant Guide than from any other source. Once you get familiar with the language, perhaps take a peek at "The Ruby Way" for deeper study.

One thing to be aware of: Rails has been changing a lot. I'd stay away from anything that deals with Rails 1.x because too much of it won't work or is deprecated in 2.x. Google "Railscasts" for some excellent free videos, or "peepcode" for some excellent inexpensive ones.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best book out there that does a good job of teaching Ruby, OOP, and contains an introduction to Rails is Beginning Ruby: From Novice To Professional by Peter Cooper (Apress, 2007).

It doesn't go into great detail about Rails, but is an excellent introduction to OOP (which is difficult to find) and Ruby. It would serve as a good starting point to then move onto a more Rails specific book. It is advisable to have a working knowledge of Ruby as this will make many Rails concepts clearer, especially if you like to know what is going on behind the scenes. 'The Pickaxe' is quite dense and suits someone who is familiar with OOP and programming concepts from having learnt another language.

The 3rd edition of Agile Web Development (covering Rails 2.1 - perhaps 2.2) is due out in Dec 08 (Pragmatic Programmers) and is considered the best overall guide to Rails.

A great recent beginner introduction is Simply Rails 2.0 by Patrick Lenz (Sitepoint, 2008) and another that doesn't feature Rails 2.0 but is not difficult to bring up to date is RailsSpace by Michael Hartl & Aurelius Prochazka (Addison Wesley, 2008) which explains exactly what is happening under the hood and why it is done that way at each stage of the tutorial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Ruby:
    From Novice To Professional by Peter Cooper

Rails:
    The rails way by Obie fernandez

Any one need e-book in ror or ruby, mail me in personal.
    Thanks.