SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Browser woes..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Browser woes..

I love Firefox. I do. I like everything going on with it.. I like extensions, although I only run like 4. I like the themes even though I don't use them.

What I don't like is the massive amount of memory the thing uses. In the past it has been.. an inconvenience. Now it is becoming more of a nuisance. In searching for this problem and a plausable fix I have read it all from "use less addons" (BTW, doesn't work.. memory usage drops SLIGHTLY but not enough to really notice.).. to "Ur comptr sux0rz!!" which.. well its not uber, its running a core2duo with 3 gigs of ram in winxp. So it smokes with everything (my home PC).

However.. my process list for IE vs FF is running that with the SAME tabs active I use roughly 2x's the memory. All this complaining to come to the point.. WHAT browser do you use? If its FF do you know of a fix to the gross amounts of memory the beast uses? I know of many online forums and am a longtime reader here, and a sporadic poster.. so your opinions are valued.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using the latest version of Firefox? Version 3 has improved in the memory department greatly.
    With 40 tabs open and a bunch of extension running Firefix 3 is using 224,580 KBs or my RAM.
    That is about 219 MBs
    Last edited by logic_earth; Jul 30, 2008 at 14:45.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now in my browser (firefox 3.0.1) 15 tabs are open and firefox only taking 116 MB RAM which is good enough

Firefox 3 is really good in Memory management...