SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSS to HTML for wordpress

Does anyone know where I can get an RSS to HTML converter or wordpress? Or, how could I code it by hand? Is it really that difficult to convert RSS to html or java script? Maybe someone could point me to some example or instruction sites on how to do this?

I need is a solution to stream several RSS feeds from amazon to my wordpress sites. Perhaps some of you have heard of the amazon associates program, where you make commission off of sales. RSS is the easiest way to stream the newest and popular amazon products to your page.

But for everything to work right, the feed needs to go from RSS to HTML or javascript. From what I have read, search engines will index an html ouput better then a java script out, when converted from an RSS feed.

I have tried several free add ons for wordpress, but most of them are lacking. One add-on, the coder inserted his own amazon associate ID, and will get commission on 20% of your referrals to amazon. The section of the code was not disclosed in the read me txt, and was found by another coder. This has made me a little leary of using some of the amazon wordpress plugins.

Maybe someone here has this already set up on their site?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress ships with MagpieRSS as one of its core classes. That means you have an RSS parser available to you within WP already, you just need to write the code to do something with what you get from the feed.

PHP Code:
    <?php 
    include_once(ABSPATH WPINC '/rss.php');

$rss fetch_rss($amazon_url);
    foreach (
    $rss->items as $item) {
      echo 
    $item['title'] . " " $item['link'] . "...etc<br />";
    }

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, that got me pointed in a direction.

One question, can wordpress display php inside an article or page? I tried that code on my site, and the output was the code. After searching google for other parser examples like what you posted, everyone I tried just posted the code from the script.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a plugin to execute code in posts: http://priyadi.net/archives/2005/03/...p-exec-plugin/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    You need a plugin to execute code in posts: http://priyadi.net/archives/2005/03/...p-exec-plugin/
    Thank you for the reply. Its taken a little while to get this installed and its not working.

I even tried the example from the scripts home page and its not working.

http://priyadi.net/archives/2005/03/...p-exec-plugin/
    <phpcode>
    <?php
    echo "Current date and time: ";
    echo date("l dS of F Y h:i:s A");
    ?>
    </phpcode>

Also, that script is over 3 years old, will it work with the latest versions of wordpress?

After thinking about this for a long time, I have decided to move away from amazon rss product feeds. There is no need in me having to fight with this to get it working. If amazon really wanted people to use this service, they would make it easy

So I have swapped over to ebay feeds, and its working a lot better then having to fight with this to get amazon feeds working. I really wish this could have worked for amazon product rss feeds, but I just dont see it going that way. It seems that amazon does not want its associates using this service. So I am not going to worry about it.