User Tag List

Hikari silver trophy artistsneverdie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Design Agencies in Australia...

Hey everyone,

Have been considering various career routes and future development paths and one of the options I'm thinking of is emmigrating to Australia from the UK, and joining an established design agency over in Oz. Fortunately, still being at a time in my life when I don't have too many commitments, if I don't try then I'll probably regret it. Plus now i've had a considerable amount of commercial experience, I should be able to meet even the most demanding of employers demands.

I plan on taking an extended holiday to Australia in the near future (probably a few months), and while there intend on contacting various agencies and design organisations to see what's available and gain a better understanding of Australian design and work culture, and gain some background to help futher my decision.

Now I know Sitepoint is based in Australia and I'm sure many of the users on here are too, so I'm wondering if any of you guys and girls can recommend established and creative design studios or agencies on the East coast of Australia (or possibly the West) who could be contacted or visited while i'm on my sabbatical

Cheers all!
    www.hikaridesign.com | Contemporary Design
    Won some awards here once upon a time...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this should probably be in the careers section...

Not answering the question directly, but while traveling there it was very easy to set up an ABN (Australian Business Number) and actually procure my own clients. What age are you at the moment? If you are able to obtain a working holiday visa, you could do the same - it's likely to make agencies sit up and pay attention.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Hikari silver trophy artistsneverdie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes wasn't sure whether this was career or general, I'm sure a mod will move if necessary.

At the moment I'm the darkside of 26.

Ideally I'd probably try to gather a few clients freelancing over there to garner a bit of income and also continue the clients I have now as distance shouldn't be a problem. (Benefits of the industry )
    www.hikaridesign.com | Contemporary Design
    Won some awards here once upon a time...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect age then dude! By all means look for an agency, but remember that there's nothing stopping you just getting yourself out there on a working holiday visa. It's always easier to communicate with people face to face - and you can have a little fun while you're at it

I managed to pick up web work through word of mouth as I wandered around - and all legitimately with the ABN.

You could give yourself a year (two if you fancied doing three months farm work) to see if Oz is for you - and I'm certain that in that time if you really wanted to stay, you could pick up sponsorship from an agency. Good luck!
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS