SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up facebook needs captcha :)

Hi,
    Okey, after reading about and witnessing quite a lot of facebook account being hacked, I believe it's time Facebook implements captcha.

The new breed of spammers or old I don't know, basically brute force members accounts, and then use that account with some sort of wall blaster to send spam to all their buddies.

What do you say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enforcing strong passwords would be a much more user-friendly way than implementing an annoying captcha on each login, but still, that wouldn't be so user-friendly either.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

SitePoint Enthusiast WickedGoddess's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_dk View Post
    Enforcing strong passwords would be a much more user-friendly way than implementing an annoying captcha on each login, but still, that wouldn't be so user-friendly either.
    I so agree, capthas are so annoying mostly if unreadable

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am sure facebook is smart enough to make the captcha's readable . I don't think it would make much of a difference, because Facebook is unique and loved by many. So, to get in touch with my friends more efficiently I wouldn't mind spending extra 10 seconds to fill up the verification field.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A CAPTCHA would only be a band-aid to a much bigger issue.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedGoddess View Post
    I so agree, capthas are so annoying mostly if unreadable
    I agree...there are some captchas that has like a weird fonts. But I do think that captcha do tend to filter spammers. If its the hacking issue, I think a clever passwords should do the trick or a security question.
    sig space open...

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook has CAPTCHA.

It disappears after one verifies one's account.

Most of those stories of accounts being hacked are rumours. And other times it's because users don't properly sign-out or use the "remember me" feature foolishly (if it's anything like what happens here).

Think about the source of these stories... Chain e-mails with subjects like... "FBI investigates Facebook!", etc. Rubbish.

To me, this is just another case of "Google phobia". The Facebook guys came up with a good idea and implemented it well, and people hate them for it.

Now I'm not saying there are no security holes at all. Anything with a couple million users will have holes, simply because of the users themselves.

Also, the third-party Facebook App's may be (and I'm sure many are!) im-properly developed. That is my biggest concern.

Why? Because of hyper-active users who'd install scores of them at the drop of a hat. Incidentally, the same type of people who are prone to identity theft and phishing.

But on the whole, comparing all of the social-networking sites out there (that I know of), Facebook seems to me to be the most secure, and it is very useful.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse