SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Blogger be held accountable for lost revenue from my Weblog!?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

0 0%
  • No!

5 62.50%
  • Unsure!?

2 25.00%
  • No Comment.

1 12.50%
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Blogger Bots incorrectly locked up my weblog! Should I seek Legal advice!?

I got an official email from Blogger that stated that it's 'bots' had incorrectly labeled my weblog as 'spam'. My blog had a lock put on it!

Blogger has promised to unlock my weblog in 1-2 days time and have apologized for the error!

However, with the big traffic numbers going to my blog and the lost revenue, I'm wondering if I should mention this 'stuff-up' to my Lawyer!

Should Blogger be held accountable for lost revenue when the mistake is their's!?

Please Discuss! Regards, D. I. Braybrooke.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, with the big traffic numbers going to my blog and the lost revenue, I'm wondering if I should mention this 'stuff-up' to my Lawyer!
    Calculate revenue lost against court fees and lawyer costs. Plus the fact you'd be taking on google, I'd let it lie tbh.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

SitePoint Zealot bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say that it's likely that blogger has disclaimed this possibility in their TOS and you agreed to it when you signed up.... Sorry I don't have better news. You're probably out of luck...

Deena

Any opinions are offered without knowledge of the specific law of your jurisdiction and with only the limited information provided in your post. No advice given here should be reasonably relied upon by you or any third party without consulting an attorney who is aware of all of the facts and law surrounding your situation. Any advice given here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship in any way.
    Deena B. Burgess, Esq.
    www.ebusinesslawgroup.com
    Offering Affordable Legal Services to Online Businesses
    Find me on Twitter and Linked In

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Thanks for the comments Guys! The blog is still locked! Not happy Jan!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That totally stinks. However i'm sure in their terms of service they have all sorts of disclaimers about that kind of thing.

My recommendation would be to spend the 5 bucks a month and get your own hosted site. I just dont trust those freebie hosted ones with my livelyhood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing with blogs on blogspot or wordpress (not self hosted) blogs is that you basically have no rights over the content of your blog whatsoever. If you read their TOS, I am pretty sure it says it there. They can close and delete your blog whenever they want and they don't even have to let you know.

That's why anyone who is serious about blogging as a source of serious income should consider self hosting.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pavelmaha View Post
    The thing with blogs on blogspot or wordpress (not self hosted) blogs is that you basically have no rights over the content of your blog whatsoever. If you read their TOS, I am pretty sure it says it there. They can close and delete your blog whenever they want and they don't even have to let you know.

That's why anyone who is serious about blogging as a source of serious income should consider self hosting.
    Thanks Pavelmaha! I do have my own independant domain name! What is 'self hosting' please? Thanks, Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherspirit View Post
    Thanks Pavelmaha! I do have my own independant domain name! What is 'self hosting' please? Thanks, Dave.
    Self hosting would be when you host your domain on a third party server, and pay monthly fee. With blogspot, the domain name is your but it is hosted by google, they own the content and the right todo whatever as they feel. In exchange it is hosted free.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to submit your blog for reconsideration, if for the nth time you receive no response from them then ---seek a professional for advice

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted no because not only is it probably already covered by the TOS agreement, but blogger (etc) provide a free service - do you feel that they should be entitled to 40% of the revenue your blog generates? No? Well why should they compensate you for not providing a service, when you don't compensate them for providing that service in the first place...
    Jack Pickard | The Pickards

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't think of a hilarious analogy for this, but trying to sue Google because they stopped giving you free hosting is ridiculous. Take all the revenue you're making and put just a tiny $5 per month of it back into web hosting.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    I can't think of a hilarious analogy for this, but trying to sue Google because they stopped giving you free hosting is ridiculous. Take all the revenue you're making and put just a tiny $5 per month of it back into web hosting.
    Gee, You must think I am really stoopid Dan! I have no intention of ever suing Google! What I would do is get my Lawyer to question their policies and TOS directly etc. There is No way I would take on a company like Google in a direct action suit However oneday some disgruntled folks will take out a class action against Google, mark my words!

Please give me a little more credit next time please Dan! Amazed!
    Dave.
    Last edited by fatherspirit; Aug 1, 2008 at 22:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, You must think I am really stoopid Dan! I have no intention of ever suing Google! What I would do is get my Lawyer to question their policies and TOS directly etc. There is No way I would take on a company like Google in a direct action suit However oneday some disgruntled folks will take out a class action against Google, mark my words!

Please give me a little more credit next time please Dan! Amazed!
    Dave.i
    fatherspirit, I guess the point he was trying to make is, that all the effort/money/and time you are spending on this issue of suing blogger/google or even asking your lawyer to look at their TOS (you are going to pay your lawyer for that!); is ridiculously overstretch. Just pay 5 bucks for a hosting and get over and than with it. Instead of paying 100/hr for a lawyer.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by pavelmaha View Post
    fatherspirit, I guess the point he was trying to make is, that all the effort/money/and time you are spending on this issue of suing blogger/google or even asking your lawyer to look at their TOS (you are going to pay your lawyer for that!); is ridiculously overstretch. Just pay 5 bucks for a hosting and get over and than with it. Instead of paying 100/hr for a lawyer.
    all the effort/money/and time you are spending on this issue of suing blogger/google
    Did I miss something Pavelmaha!? I have never mentioned the word 'sue' in relation to Blogger/Google!

I don't pay my Lawyer one cent, He gives me a lot of valuable Legal advice!

You and Your 'friend' seem to have me pegged as an 'incomparable Moron!' Not Nice!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I miss something Pavelmaha!? I have never mentioned the word 'sue' in relation to Blogger/Google!
    Should Blogger be held accountable for lost revenue when the mistake is their's!?
    How else do you hold another company accountable for your lost revenue except to sue them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well sorry to push it, but your post obviously gave tham impression. I don't know about you, I don't discuss some companies TOS with my lawyer over dinner (for free!!), if I don't have any intentiona to sue them.

So what do you mean by having them accountable for lost revenue?