SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow What skills should any self-respecting Web Developer have thesedays?

Skillset-wise, what should a modern-day web developer have?

In order of 'decent', I use CSS, XHTML, PHP, MySQL, Accessibility,Web Standards, ASP, SEO, C#, Flash.

My friend still builds with Dreamweaver, tables and no Accessibility in mind .

Just curious to see what the professionals here have and also what certain blogs or sites you guys check regularly to keep the finger on the pulse.

Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upgrade and upgrade ur skills to stay in this business

SitePoint Evangelist croatiankid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTML and CSS obviously, along with PHP and MySQL. I'm learning JavaScript now that I finally have the time but really want more experience with Python and ColdFusion.
    Hrvoje Markovic
    Croatiankid designs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im a Web applications developer by trade. I focus on these skils primarily.

1.) Accessible, Standards compliant, cross browser compatible XHTML and CSS (No point in making an amazing app if not everyone can use/see it)

2.) Object Oriented PHP5 (For fast development and flexible code)

3.) MySQL and SQL language in general (For all database needs)

4.) Good Basic Javascript skills (For a minimum: client side validation, although I always have backend validation too)

5.) Photoshop and Illustrator for all my graphics needs

6.) Then any other languages that I have a keen interest in (in my case I learn most OOP languages)
    C#, ASP.NET, Ruby, Ruby On Rails, Java, ActionScript 3.0 etc etc

7.) Some basic Flash skills (I personally think that most of the time (with the exception of rare cases), that flash is an abomination to everything good and pure about the web). But its good to at least know your way around as clients ask me for at least a little flash at one time or another.
    Neron-Fx
    Everytime a user opens Internet Explorer, a web developer dies...
    http://www.savethedevelopers.org/

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have any further to add to this thread? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Also quite keen to know what tools you guys use for web development, testing etc.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. HTML
    2. CSS
    3. CSS quirks in browsers (mainly IE)
    4. Accessibility
    5. Usability
    6. JavaScript
    7. DOM
    8. The fundamental differences between HTML and XHTML

On top of that, it depends what you're going to work with. Graphic design, colour theory, typography, databases, server-side programming languages, client-side plug-in stuff, information architecture, …
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invision2 View Post
    Does anyone have any further to add to this thread? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Also quite keen to know what tools you guys use for web development, testing etc.
    Development Tools wise, I am never without the following:

1.) Firefox 2.5 or above
    2.) Firefox Web Developer Toolbar
    3.) Firefox Firebug Toolbar for debugging multiple things (XHTML, CSS, JS etc)
    4.) Firefox Fire Encrypter add on - Useful for quickly encrypting things many formats (md5, Base64, ASCII, Binary, Hex, DES, SHA1 etc etc)
    5.) Firefox Timestamp Generator- Useful for quick DB inserts from command line
    6.) Internet Explorer 6.5 and 7- to make sure stuff works in these sad excuses for browsers
    7.) Safari and Opera
    8.) PC for testing (I use a Mac normally)
    9.) If you do a lot of backend work, I cannot recommend a local server enough for testing and quick development
    10.) Spell checker- For all written content.

I probably use a few others which I have forgotten or overlooked.

Hope this helps
    Neron-Fx

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think neron-fx really nailed it, and in a great order. You can always farm out design if you're not good at it, but if you can't deliver a well-coded, accessible, usable website and can't upsell application and database design services (PHP, mysql, etc) you're going to have a rough go of it.

I also completely agree about Flash. With today's JavaScript libraries you can give clients the animation and flexibility they want and you can do so in an accessible manner. It is good to be able to make your way around Flash. I have a customer right now that wants me to build them a new website, but in the mean time they need to make urgent updates to their current website, which is 100% Flash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi graedus_dave,

I feel for you, I really do I hate having to update 100% flash websites. Plus I disagree with them in principle what with them not being SEO friendly and being a usability nightmare with regards to browser UI (back, forward and refresh buttons most notably). I tend to use jQuery and the like to provide nice looking and accessible interfaces and think that slowy but surely these alternatives could phase Flash out (*Expects to be pounced on by Flash fan-boys *). Dont get me wrong I think Flash has its place, its when its used and abused that I detest it.
    Neron-Fx