SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. Your stats looks like a "success story". Now start to the main part "How to monetize this traffic"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleys View Post
    You're doing amazingly well on Digg. How much of that traffic sticks around? Digg traffic can be fickle, but if you can turn those visits into regular readers, you'll really grow like a weed.

Have you tried any other tech-niche social media sites (like Reddit, Hacker News, DZone, etc.)? They may not send as much traffic overall as Digg, but it tends to be higher quality traffic, imho.

Edit: I just realized you answered half my question in the last post -- I kind of didn't realize there was a page two to this thread. Whoops.
    Yes, as discussed before some of the traffic is sticky; this also brings relevant backlinks from other relevant blog/s website (it Cnet - lifehacker - zdnet), which tends to bring more related traffic.

I used to submit to different social media sites seperately, now I do it on digg only, digg users are also members of other social; so tend to promote my digg articles, so I don't have to do it myself.

Traffic from other relevant social media sites are: ycombinator (hacker news), dzone, propeller, lxer, tuxmachines, SU and some more I might be forgetting. You can tell if a traffic is sticky when you compare organic traffic from month to month or weeks to weeks, after digg.
    Last edited by pavelmaha; Aug 7, 2008 at 11:39.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!
    how do you find something new to write ?

SitePoint Enthusiast aikabeatrice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow! what an improvement. can you share your secret with us?!

keep it up mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aikabeatrice View Post
    wow! what an improvement.
    Thanks!

can you share your secret with us?! :D
    Yes sure. I eat spinach! :)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any advice for a nw blogger using blogging as a way of engaging with potential customers for a consultancy business. I'm enjoying blogging, but it's only been a week... I'm getting good comments, but of course the numbers are tiny right now. My concern is whether it will take so much time that I won't have time to do the consultancy that I'm trying to promote!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Middleton View Post
    Do you have any advice for a nw blogger using blogging as a way of engaging with potential customers for a consultancy business. I'm enjoying blogging, but it's only been a week... I'm getting good comments, but of course the numbers are tiny right now. My concern is whether it will take so much time that I won't have time to do the consultancy that I'm trying to promote!
    I have to admit, I have no experience in this field. However watching other blogger who does consulting (seth goddin, darren rowse); I would suggest to put your blog first and do consulting as a service that you provide instead of promoting yourself as a "consultant, who does blogging"

You can use blogging as a platform to promote your understanding on the niche you do consulting on. Your goal should be (IMO), building a community of like minded people, or people interested on the particular niche. Some, on this group of people, will become your customer or through word of mouth; recommend others to you.

The difficult part is building a community. Unless you have 10 people working for you; this will definitely take some time depending on how much effort you are putting into it.

A great example of community powered business in recent times that I can think of are the blog network and marketplace established by collis taeed (envato.com). Their readers are also their customers of their services who also recommend them to other readers. Even though, they are in the same business (freelancing). With well over a few millions of people in their community; in a little over than 2 years; that's a success story right there.

Even though their business is not consulting in the traditional form; their business model is something you can take inspiration from.

I can already think of this to be a nice little project.

Good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the impressive traffic stats. I put together a few test blogs in the past 4 or 5 months just to see what works and what doesn't. I found the best way of increasing traffic was to interact with the bloggers in the same niche I was. Posting useful comments on their posts with the link back to my site, referencing links to their articles in some of mine. Organic traffic built really fast.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great result.. co maybe tell to us what the effort you've done..

keep it up and iam happy you made it..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pavelmaha View Post
    I only concentrate on digg now. My own readers promotes my content, and if it get to the front page, I also get good traffic from SU, reddit and there are some linux specific social media (ie, lxer and tuxmachines).

Before I used to submit them all manually, now I don't have to.

I hit the front page I think 15+ time, 7-8 of them last month.
    I wanted to relate my social networking experience. Kaboodle, This Next and Polyvore work GREAT for young and older women related websites. I've tried Digg and it isn't for shopping, although I get a tiny amount of traffic from Digg. But Kaboodle and Polyvore are amazing, I get constant repeat traffic from both and they are fun and easy to use. This Next has some software issues, and crashes on me as I am uploading. But I've even seen a little traffic from them as well. Congrats Pav for such a successful blog!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stats for a blog. Keep up the good work.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this numbers are nothing compare to some of you guys, but one year is a milestone for me I thought I would share.

What are you talking about? You have a GOOD (or should a say, FANTASTIC!) blog traffics and statistics for just a year! Congratulation, dude! Keep it up! (what blog is that?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have fantastic figures dude.. Share the secrets mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJ View Post
    You have fantastic figures dude.. Share the secrets mate ;)
    Thank you.

I work out 5 times a week, and that is the secret behind my perfect figure and good posture. :)

Or you could read the whole thread, and see discussion took place earlier in this thread. :)

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work out 5 times a week, and that is the secret behind my perfect figure and good posture.
    which is evident from your avatar
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But cartman is my hero...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What techniques did you use to gain that much traffic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wyche128 View Post
    What techniques did you use to gain that much traffic?
    I paid people to come to my website...

Joking aside, please people READ before you decide to reply, than I don't have to repeat the same thing twice and you don't need to get flamed. :)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow... congratulations... it's rather inspiring to look at those numbers... and it's great that you've been at it for a while, and your work has paid off...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fascinated by stats and number and here is some infos on what have been going on for the last 12 months.
    Your site Alexa's rank?
    I guess it is on the top 100,000

Do you tried adwords?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to submit to different social media sites seperately, now I do it on digg only, digg users are also members of other social; so tend to promote my digg articles, so I don't have to do it myself.
    Im NOT a Digg user, so excuse if my question is to naive:

How did you promote it in Digg? Just posting the url?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In one year, you were able to get that much traffic. It is amazing. I also have a 1 year old blog, but the traffic compared to users, is nothing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting stats.

I'm assuming you aren't running this on shared hosting? Dedicated? VPS?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    Interesting stats.

Those stats would be an average of 6 page views per minute (one per 10 seconds). Even if it's more concentrated in the afternoon, a page load on WordPress without cache should take a fraction of a second to complete, he'd have no problem running this on shared hosting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    Interesting stats.

Dan is right. If the traffic was spaced out than it shouldn't be a problem with a VPS or even a shared account. Envito blog network (freelanceswitch - PSDtuts and several others) averages 1 connection per second according to collis. That's 86,400 per day, if my math is not wrong.

Theoretically he should be okay on a VPS. :)
    But wouldn't that be crazy?

I am using Hostgator Dedicated Elite ($279/Mo). Apart from hosting my own sites (5-6 of them I think) I host some clients, when I do freelance web designing, on my free time as a hobby.

My traffic are very sporadic, Depending on post-rate (I post very very infrequently, 8 posts last month) and weekends; which are pretty much dead.

Here are some updated stats from last 30 days (Wouldn't survive on a shared or a VPS):

Here is the updated monthly (Sorry again for the self promotion):

At this rate I should get more than my target goal of 300k uniques, and maybe if pressed hard enough, might cross half a million page views.

It's all good and dandy, whats very fascinating for me is that I still can't find a direct advertiser. I just signed up for buy sell ads about two weeks ago; and my jaw drops when I see sites with 100k traffic (according to BSA stats) racking up advertisers asking more money than I am. While I am getting 700k Page views (according to BSA stats), I can't find a fracking advertiser...

Oh well. Gotta keep on trying. :)