SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congratulations! My one year blog get only 2000 unique visitors per month.

Give me your blog URL

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pavelmaha View Post
    It's all good and dandy, whats very fascinating for me is that I still can't find a direct advertiser. I just signed up for buy sell ads about two weeks ago; and my jaw drops when I see sites with 100k traffic (according to BSA stats) racking up advertisers asking more money than I am. While I am getting 700k Page views (according to BSA stats), I can't find a fracking advertiser...

Oh well. Gotta keep on trying.
    Advertising, especially in a slow economy, is about generating results, not impressions.

Your blog is about Linux, the free operating system of free software. Many of the avid fans are teens. Not a big spending audience.

Convince me your readers would pay for commercial software/services, and I'll buy an ad right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Advertising, especially in a slow economy, is about generating results, not impressions.

Your blog is about Linux, the free operating system of free software. Many of the avid fans are teens. Not a big spending audience.

Convince me your readers would pay for commercial software/services, and I'll buy an ad right now.
    Actually I disagree, advertisement is not always about buying software/services. It's also about promoting product/services. A test I did sometime ago showed that about 75% of my readers are using windows to view the site, so it's not necessarily true that all my readers are primarily Linux users, but people with deep understanding and desire to know about Linux. (I also own window and OSX blogs with the same theme, but not as busy, since I just revived them couple of weeks ago.)

Many of my readers are not actually teens, but system administrators in major large-scale and small-scale corporations (read comments on posts ranging from 20+ to 100+); software-developers (both free and commercial), bloggers on diverse topic (not only open source).

At BSA, in my last count there was 4-5 other blogs that sell ads with the same theme as mine and has already sold ads (I didn't go through whole BSA inventory, I am sure they have more), such as:

DailyApps (~350k impressions),
    Gimp-Tutorial (opensource) (~147k impressions),
    Digitgeek (~78K impressions),
    Pligg (opensource)
    (~71 impressions),
    OSliving (opensource) (~43k impressions)

My Site? (~690k impressions) that's almost double the impressions of all the sites listed above combined!!! And all of them sold ads, but me. :)

I just noticed that you also use BSA. Nice! :)

ps, impression count listed by BSA varies everyday. A note for people who doesn't follow BSA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah! Dan thanks for buying an Ad Space.

I guess, I convinced you.
    I hope you get some business from my site.

Cheers,
    pavs

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great! can you show your blog?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pavelmaha View Post
    I just noticed that you also use BSA. Nice!

ps, impression count listed by BSA varies everyday. A note for people who doesn't follow BSA.
    what is BSA???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AbstractHipHop View Post
    what is BSA???
    Ad network like google Adsense: Buy Sell Ads.

It supposedly trying to compete with exclusive invite-only ad networks like blogads. (I have my doubts)

Oh! By the way, just got invited to blogads myself, and they stopped accepting new sites from this week (phew!); things finally seems to be falling in to right places; exactly how I wanted.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went and bought ads on 5 sites on BSA, as well as yours... with the same ads. The other sites are no more about WordPress than your blog. They're all sending good traffic except yours. 7 clicks in 6 days.

This is why nobody was buying the ads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went and bought ads on 5 sites on BSA, as well as yours... with the same ads. The other sites are no more about WordPress than your blog. They're all sending good traffic except yours. 7 clicks in 6 days.

This is why nobody was buying the ads.
    Sorry to hear that. I don't think BSA is the crowd for my site. I just got into another invite only network (Six Apart) today, Like Blogads they mostly cater towards CPM advertisers and bulk site sponsors.

BSA seems to be more geared towards web designers and developers.

Anyhow. I will ask Todd from BSA, and see if a refund is possible through them. It not, I will refund you personally (paypal?) and see if I can get the BSA ad spot removed.

Let me know through PM or here.

Cheers,
    pavs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't ask for a refund, I don't expect one. Not all ads work out, that's a risk the advertiser takes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't ask for a refund, I don't expect one. Not all ads work out, that's a risk the advertiser takes
    I understand. I guess you loose some and you gain some.

Six Apart is offering me a very tempting ad spot with insanely high CPM rate (for obvious reasons, can't discuss rate); only problem, the ad spot was from Microsoft Mojavo Project and I can't use that on a Linux Blog . I can tell you that it's very very tempting ...

Instead I will be using it on a sister blog with much lower traffic. Oh well...