SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Year of Blogging

July 31 will be exactly one year blogging for me on my main blog. The blog I spent most of my efforts on.

I am fascinated by stats and number and here is some infos on what have been going on for the last 12 months.

Sitemeter Stat:

Traffic summary:

As you can see My traffic only seriously started picking up from may when I seriously started putting more effort into promoting and improving my blog.

My feed reader counts increases proportionately to my traffic.

However the above feed stat is a bit misleading, as my feed number is somewhere around 1500.

My only disappointment is that I am unable to find quality advertisers; which I am hoping will change from next month.

Target for next month? 300,000+ uniques and 2000+ feed readers.
    Lessons learned? Never underestimate the power of social media.
    Posts count this month? 8

I know this numbers are nothing compare to some of you guys, but one year is a milestone for me I thought I would share.
    Last edited by pavelmaha; Jul 29, 2008 at 01:02.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some impressive numbers. That's a very popular blog, and you actually have enough page views to really monetize it. Congrats!

The big question is... has it been worth it? Are you earning more for the time you put in than you'd get working the same hours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    The big question is... has it been worth it? Are you earning more for the time you put into reaching those great numbers than you'd get working the same hours?
    Considering the fact that I have only been seriously putting effort 3 months ago; I would have to say yes. It pays it's own costs.

I am sure you know this; but you cannot compare earnings from working hours on a regular job (in some other form of online freelancing you can, like graphic designing and paid copy writing); with earnings from personal blog. When you are building up a blog as a source of income; you are doing more than just building traffic, you are in effect creating a community of like minded people. And building that up takes time.

Before may I was blogging as a hobby; I cared little about money. But now I am putting in more effort into it as a serious means of income.

I think six months from now would be a good time to reflect back and see if it was worthed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow those are some really good numbers. I've never got into blogging personally, but friends of mine keep telling me about the benefits of doing so - so I might have a look into it at some point when I get some free time.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great improvement! continue updating your blog. congratulations!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Going Congratulation..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I am really amazed about your stats, I am more amazed that you had 18,712 visits on your first month. How did you do that, man?

But congrats, really! Keep coming!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post
    While I am really amazed about your stats, I am more amazed that you had 18,712 visits on your first month. How did you do that, man?

Contrary to popular belief, the best way to promote your blog is not by writing huge amount of contents and hope for search engines to pick it up and bring some traffic in couple of months.

The best way and fastest way to promote your blog (from my experience) is by word of mouth. And the best medium (among others) is social media. One of my post in the early days was a hit in social media, which soon spread around as some popular website started to link it in their own website. The whole thing happened by word of mouth.

At one point i started posting 100+ articled per month (Yes I did!!!), that blew; because the quality of the articles were extremely bad and I was hoping for search engine to give me traffic on relevant keywords. Doesn't work.

Also first impression help. If someone sees a poorly designed site or blog; they are less like to recommend it to others or link to it; even if the content is very good.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post

I had 75,000 visits in my first month on my weblog, but a lot of the traffic was rubbish! Congrats to the thread starter! Very impressive figures there!

Regards,
    Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pavelmaha View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, the best way to promote your blog is not by writing huge amount of contents and hope for search engines to pick it up and bring some traffic in couple of months.

The best way and fastest way to promote your blog (from my experience) is by word of mouth. And the best medium (among others) is social media. One of my post in the early days was a hit in social media, which soon spread around as some popular website started to link it in their own website. The whole thing happened by word of mouth.

At one point i started posting 100+ articled per month (Yes I did!!!), that blew; because the quality of the articles were extremely bad and I was hoping for search engine to give me traffic on relevant keywords. Doesn't work.

Also first impression help. If someone sees a poorly designed site or blog; they are less like to recommend it to others or link to it; even if the content is very good.
    I am not quite good in social media I suppose although I think I can write quality articles somehow. I am spending at least 3 hours for every article so I only post around 3x a week. I think promotion is my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fatherspirit View Post
    I had 75,000 visits in my first month on my weblog, but a lot of the traffic was rubbish! Congrats to the thread starter! Very impressive figures there!

Regards,
    Dave.
    Where the hell did you got those visitors? But why did you say most of them are rubbish?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What i have noticed about blogs is that after the 6 month point things seem to increase in terms of the traffic you get from search engines.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's 75,000 UV's that's quite incredible for a first month (I'd say almost imossible). Are you going to share your secret? Also, how did you determine that most of the traffic was rubbish?
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherspirit View Post

Regards,
    Dave.
    I don't want to be rude but your blog hit counter says "26314".

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Keep up the good work. I hope I can one day get great results like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fantastic #s. What category are you blogging?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! Is it possible to see your blog?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all.

Niche = tech. Site is here.

Sorry about the self promotion.
    Last edited by pavelmaha; Aug 2, 2008 at 04:38.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's amazing. Good job and keep up the good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Keep up the good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, those are some very nice numbers. What kind of social media did you use? I assume that by saying it passed through word of mouth and got linked too, you had a digg experience.
    Rexibit Web Services
    Don't just build it - CSS it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only concentrate on digg now. My own readers promotes my content, and if it get to the front page, I also get good traffic from SU, reddit and there are some linux specific social media (ie, lxer and tuxmachines).

Before I used to submit them all manually, now I don't have to.

I hit the front page I think 15+ time, 7-8 of them last month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow thats great. I just started a month back, any advices for me? please check my blogs in the signature and tell if u have any suggestions. comeon man, help us novices too to come up.

how much are you making per month with this blog?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom.schavo View Post
    wow thats great. I just started a month back, any advices for me? please check my blogs in the signature and tell if u have any suggestions. comeon man, help us novices too to come up.
    I am only gonna talk about your tech blog and it's too early to say where you are heading with it. You only have 2 posts for now. Look at other tech blogs; who are reasonably successful ( but not necessarily the leaders) and take ideas from them (ie, geek are sexy) and implement it yourself. Always follow other successful blogs and add your ideas to the mix.

how much are you making per month with this blog?
    Not enough.