SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about CSS links and frames

Hello all, this is my first attempt at making a website with css instead of standard html. The only problem Im facing so far is with the links in the navigation. Ive spend alot of time researching this and I cant seem to find anything.

I want the links in the navigation menu (left) to open in the body page without changing the left or top header frames.

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it thankyou

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not hybrid? Some css some html

i'd make your menu JS and use a generic template then modify that... you can find templates by googling relevant terms

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a template already, what im trying to advoid is having to copy/paste the header/navigation into every page on my site. I was wondering if theres a way I could have the links open only the body section, and not reload the header and navigation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, and I say this for your benefit, you should stop using frames. They are not supported (depreciated) and have not been since the 90's. Frames lead to your site not getting the optimization it needs. Your links are not there to be indexed with your content, so you are handicapped.

If you want the look of a fixed header, then use CSS's "position: fixed" property. If you want to build a compatible site, that is optimized for the best viewing experience possible, you can't do it with frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Acheronn View Post
    I have a template already, what im trying to advoid is having to copy/paste the header/navigation into every page on my site. I was wondering if theres a way I could have the links open only the body section, and not reload the header and navigation.
    You will need to use a SSI, or a PHP Include. Make your header and footer in one file, then include it into your content. That way you can edit them at one time for your whole site. If you already have ranked pages in .html file extensions, then use a .htaccess configuration to make those extensions be parsed like a SSI or PHP.
    Rexibit Web Services
    Don't just build it - CSS it