SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Are Forum Moderators Becoming Uptight Lately!?

In the past few weeks I have been banned from Warrior Forum, Off-Topic Forum, Icon Forum (Madonna.com - banned THREE times!) WickedFire Forum, and Digital Point Forum! Not even sure exactly what the reason for the banning was on all five!?

Have You ever been banned from a forum or other site!? Please share! Thanks a lot! Regards, Dave.

P.S. If You think that the bannings are all due to my 'unpleasant' personality etc, I would like to add that I haven't been banned from SitePoint Forum and don't expect to be either! SitePoint has a lot going for it! Congrats!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I too have been banned from Digital Point Forum, The reason or reasons unknown to me. As I am a beginner, me knowledge is not that vast, the review forums are too not giving a nice response. i always get a message that says - I need to be more elaborate with my reviews.

Lets hope for the Best

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Travelerbynature View Post
    Hi

I too have been banned from Digital Point Forum, The reason or reasons unknown to me. As I am a beginner, me knowledge is not that vast, the review forums are too not giving a nice response. i always get a message that says - I need to be more elaborate with my reviews.

Lets hope for the Best
    Sorry to hear that! D.P. is fickle! Thanks for Your comment! D. I forgot, I also got a temporary ban from Digg.com but it was waived thankfully!

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    well if that isn't a huge red flag to say "Keep an eye on me" I dont know what is!!

You have drawn our attention by surreptitiously dropping links into your posts or hotlinking images in your posts!
    This alone will not got you banned but continually doing it will.
    We dont ban for fun and it is usually with reluctance even then!

Keep your nose clean and you can stay

Personally I think the staff here are great
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    You have drawn our attention by surreptitiously dropping links into your posts or hotlinking images in your posts!
    Aha!!! this is your confesion here... you were already watching...

Just making sure that you are doing your work

@fatherspirit: so there you go, now you know why you could be banned. It is very nice of Spike to tell you. But, obviously, if you kept the same practices in other forums, maybe that's why they banned you. Nevertheless, I think it would have been nice of them if they have let you know why they took that decision. It is hard to fix an error if you don't know what you are doing wrong.

By Spike's comments, I assume that you were trying to get traffic to your own businesses. This is all fair and good, as we all do. But nobody wants to be spammed, and including certain type of links will be considered just that.

It is a much better approach to help others and gain their respect. You can use you signature to promote yourself as much as you like, as that's permitted.

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    (...) now you know why you could be banned. It is very nice of Spike to tell you.
    Whenever a member is warned, infracted or banned, he always has to know the reason why it happened (and he's always informed about it by a moderator).
    And of course there's no banning just for fun or in revenge - a person doing so would lose the moderator powers in the blink of an eye.
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    well if that isn't a huge red flag to say "Keep an eye on me" I dont know what is!!

This alone will not got you banned but continually doing it will.
    We dont ban for fun and it is usually with reluctance even then!

Keep your nose clean and you can stay

Personally I think the staff here are great
    Yes, thanks for that! What I DON'T appreciate is getting PM'd by Site Point Moderators with 'smarmy' type message like 'You seem like a bright guy, do You understand me!?' (paraphrasing of actual message received.)

I don't need to be patronized by Site Point moderators thanks! And before I get jumped on by the SP masses, let me point out that You didn't get the message so can't judge its tone or content!

As for 'hotlinking' pictures! Just about Everybody is doing it! Google has about every image available in the universe in their image files and only give a 'this picture might be copyrighted' message at the very last moment before downloading. 'Might' is not a very convincing term is it!?

No more kindergarten type PM's from Site Point thanks! Do a PR course before You press 'send' again please!

Open Fire guys, I've got a very thick skin but a very low tolerance to condescension!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherspirit View Post
    Yes, thanks for that! What I DON'T appreciate is getting PM'd by Site Point Moderators with 'smarmy' type message like 'You seem like a bright guy, do You understand me!?' (paraphrasing of actual message received.)

I don't need to be patronized by Site Point moderators thanks! And before I get jumped on by the SP masses, let me point out that You didn't get the message so can't judge its tone or content!

As for 'hotlinking' pictures! Just about Everybody is doing it! Google has about every image available in the universe in their image files and only give a 'this picture might be copyrighted' message at the very last moment before downloading. 'Might' is not a very convincing term is it!?

No more kindergarten type PM's from Site Point thanks! Do a PR course before You press 'send' again please!

Open Fire guys, I've got a very thick skin but a very low tolerance to condescension!
    I think you could have put your opinion across more politely here, before you pressed send.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funniest thread I've seen for ahwile.

It's like a guy walking into a bank and announcing he's got 5 previous convictions for armed robbery.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by htpc View Post
    Funniest thread I've seen for ahwile.

It's like a guy walking into a bank and announcing he's got 5 previous convictions for armed robbery.
    Except that Site Point is NOT a bank and being banned from a forum is not a felony! Or did I miss something!? D.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Just because everyone is doing it doesnt make it right. Google images show the images and doesnt mean anyone has carte blanche (sp?) to plaster them all over the internet!.
    I obviously cant comment on the PM you received nor will I be drawn on commenting on it's contents. As Varelse said - everyone gets a full reason why they have received an infraction or bannng.
    (unless it;s PM spam in whch case its a very short message!)

Rest assured fatherspirit, stay and enjoy yourself at Sitepoint
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Originally Posted by fatherspirit

What does 'last warning' mean please? (I asked this as I wasn't aware of ever receiving a first, second or third warning pertaining to this said 'infraction'. And They replied (patronizingly!):

you seem to be a bright fellow

it means that you can be banned from posting if you don't stop doing it

would you please reply to this and let me know that you understand

thanks
    'You seem to be a bright fellow'..... Just a touch twee and yokeley Huh!? This 'fellow' only gets called 'fellow' by his beloved Mum! You might think that I am 'nit-picking' but calling someone a 'bright fellow' is hardly respecting their status now is it!? At least they said 'thanks' at the end!

As for 'would you please reply to this and let me know that you understand'. A bit of an odd request, maybe they should have said 'please indicate receipt of message'. My 'understanding' will be evidenced in my ceasing of 'offending' action surely!? Letting them know that I 'understand' sounds like a slightly fascist type of indicator!

There was more 'guff' but I think that it is best that it stays in my PM folder! Regards, D.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    [SIZE="2"] I've got a very thick skin
    that's good

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'You seem to be a bright fellow'..... Just a touch twee and yokeley Huh!? This 'fellow' only gets called 'fellow' by his beloved Mum! You might think that I am 'nit-picking' but calling someone a 'bright fellow' is hardly respecting their status now is it!? At least they said 'thanks' at the end!

As for 'would you please reply to this and let me know that you understand'. A bit of an odd request, maybe they should have said 'please indicate receipt of message'. My 'understanding' will be evidenced in my ceasing of 'offending' action surely!? Letting them know that I 'understand' sounds like a slightly fascist type of indicator!

There was more 'guff' but I think that it is best that it stays in my PM folder! Regards, D.
    It sounds almost like you are looking for things to be offended by!!

I really dont know what you are trying to achieve by this thread, but here take this, looks like you enjoy using it *passes fatherspirit a spade*.

I have always been impressed with sitepoint staff and Moderators, I think they should be praised more often, not publicly cursed for doing their job. On many forums this thread would be deleted!

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for 'hotlinking' pictures! Just about Everybody is doing it!
    Sorry, but that's not a valid excuse. Stealing is stealing, no matter how many are doing it.

Google has about every image available in the universe in their image files and only give a 'this picture might be copyrighted' message at the very last moment before downloading. 'Might' is not a very convincing term is it!?
    Unless you own the copyright of that image, or have the explicit permission of the person who does, you cannot use it. Very simple, common knowledge, no further warnings should be necessary.

The fact that you've been banned from five different forums ought to be enough for you to start thinking that maybe, just maybe, there is something you are doing that isn't really appreciated? Of course it is possible that the whole thing is a big conspiracy and that everyone is out to get you.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ro0bear View Post
    It sounds almost like you are looking for things to be offended by!!

I really dont know what you are trying to achieve by this thread, but here take this, looks like you enjoy using it *passes fatherspirit a spade*.

I have always been impressed with sitepoint staff and Moderators, I think they should be praised more often, not publicly cursed for doing their job. On many forums this thread would be deleted!
    Hi! Thanks for Your comment Ro0bear! It's not really about me 'looking for things to be offended by!' A great forum will always practice good PR in all situations! SitePoint forum is a Great forum however it is outranked by another (who I don't need to mention) in ranking status! I think it's fair to say that the 'better' forum has a few tricks up its sleeve that SitePoint lacks!

Being the 'Best' is measured in tiny increments but it is the little things that count!

Maybe You are OK with sloppy chat in PM's Ro0bear, but I think it shows a lack of standards! As for Your cute comment about *passing fatherspirit a spade* .... sometimes when one 'digs a hole' one finds a big nugget of gold!

I didn't come on this forum to win a popularity contest and I am not in the least bit surprised that when someone (as in Me) speaks out against the Forum moderator's standards, all the 'SP stooges' come out of the woodwork to take a swipe!

I agree that the SitePoint staff and Moderators do a fine job, but the fact remains that this forum is still not top ranking on Alexa (for forums of this size and nature!) You might say 'Big Deal, who gives a Whop!' but being the best is an accolade that is worth attaining by painstaking attention to detail!

As for Your comment 'On many forums this thread would be deleted!' What a load of toss! What a highly precious statement that is! The subject about Forum moderators being intolerant is not even that controversial when You think about it! It raises questions but hardly pushes the envelope that far! Maybe You are the one who is 'looking for things to be offended by!?' (Quoting You!)

When You can be a little more balanced in Your thinking and not so eager to defend the 'so-so' actions of top level 'Site Point' staff, then maybe I will appreciate Your posts more!

Best to You Ro0bear!
    Kind Regards,
    Dave

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

The fact that you've been banned from five different forums ought to be enough for you to start thinking that maybe, just maybe, there is something you are doing that isn't really appreciated? Of course it is possible that the whole thing is a big conspiracy and that everyone is out to get you.
    Not a very classy comment from a so called 'Team Leader'!? Your statement 'Of course it is possible that the whole thing is a big conspiracy and that everyone is out to get you ' is patronizing and uncalled for!

For Your information 'Team Leader' I have a diagnosed medical condition called 'Paranoid Schizophrenia' which I am medicated for and I do often suffer from paranoia and conspiracy theories etc. I can't help this! (Please don't anyone start getting 'cute' about my Mental Illness thanks, I've got a great Lawyer who has my best interests at heart!)

Maybe, just maybe, Team Leader, my mass banning is an indication of how vanilla standards have become on so many sites! A lot of the Internet content is aimed squarely at pleasing Middle America and its Repbulican Followers!

On one forum I was given the boot because I used a couple of masked swear words. A very dour gent commented to me that my 'masked swearing was highly offensive to him and that I should stop doing it!' I did stop, to try and calm him down! D*#m it! is not really an example of highly offensive language in my humble opinion, but there You go!

So, thanks for Your comment 'Team Leader', but I'm not buying and I ain't following the 'team line' given by this particular 'Leader'!

Have a Great Day!
    Regards,
    Dave.

P.S. I notice that You say You have 'foot-in-mouth-disease'! Hmmmmm...........

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see any self-reflection in this thread by you. I just see attacks left and right in this thread as well as mocking/belittling those who dare speak their minds. Why is that?
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    I don't see any self-reflection in this thread by you. I just see attacks left and right in this thread as well as mocking/belittling those who dare speak their minds. Why is that?
    'Attacks left and right'!? I am simply defending myself! I am 'mocking/belittling' others!? And what are they doing in return!? This all seems like a very convenient one-way street type of comment by You Kohoutek!

Nothing like a bit of healthy debate! So please contribute something a little more meaty next time. No more 'pollution' thanks! Regards, Dave.

To get back on topic, many online forums are becoming stricter and stricter and many people are being banned for the slightest infractions! I know that I sometimes test limits but I don't see that as being a crime really!

It seems like me against the world on this issue, I've got broad shoulders and can take the hits so keep them coming please! I challenge just one poster to point out a single legitimate, positive point that I have made in this thread! If You are going to get all precious and just sling endless barbs my way (with no balance in the argument then I will know that I really have opened a 'can of worms' and will have proved my point that Forums (in general) are becoming more right-winged every day (except for WickedFire which is just parochial mud-slinging anarchy that never sees reason! EVER!)

No more cheap shots thanks guys! You're better than that! (And, 'No!', I don't believe that I am taking 'cheap shots' at people, just arguing as factually and as well as I can manage!) It seems that some Site Point members have very precious underbellies and flimsy 'He said/ She said' type egos!

Best To You All no matter what side of the fence You are!

Kind Regards,
    Dave.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't attack you, but merely asked you a question based on my perception on the nature of your responses in this thread. What comes in return? The latter is rhetorical.

PS: I am a lefty, by the way. Doesn't change the fact that I think you're being extremely defensive here. Whatever floats your boat. I am certainly not going to discuss anything with someone who can't take a question or slight criticism without attacking.

Have a good day, Sir.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Please don't anyone start getting 'cute' about my Mental Illness thanks, I've got a great Lawyer who has my best interests at heart!)
    Threatening people with legal action before they have even done anything wrong is not really a remark I'd expect from somebody with "broad shoulders".

And yes, I agree with you, forum moderators are getting stricter.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This whole discussion can be distilled down to a core point: choice. It is our choice to visit these forums, and it is our choice to leave them. While both sides of this debate have valid points, in the end, it comes down to your choice to visit here. If the overall moderation of this forum is not to your liking, please exercise your ability to leave here. You have not paid any fee to become a member here so you are not out anything if you leave. If you receive a horrible meal and service at your local restaurant, would you return? Probably not, you would exercise your ability to choose, and you would take your business elsewhere.

Again, everyone here is here by choice and everyone here can choose to leave. If these forums/fellow posters/moderators are not acceptable or serve you no purpose, then feel free to spend your time on one of the other sites (that you have indicated rank higher anyway).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    I didn't attack you, but merely asked you a question based on my perception on the nature of your responses in this thread. What comes in return? The latter is rhetorical.

PS: I am a lefty, by the way. Doesn't change the fact that I think you're being extremely defensive here. Whatever floats your boat. I am certainly not going to discuss anything with someone who can't take a question or slight criticism without attacking.

Have a good day, Sir.
    I Never said that You 'attacked' Me Kohoutek! You might want to re-read my post!? (Please note where the italics are positioned and the meaning that they imply!) You are a 'lefty'!? Something I've noticed, the further left one goes, the more and more you start to look like the proverbial 'right'! The margins seem to be getting smaller and smaller! And, by the way Kohoutek, if You really are as 'left' as You claim then You would have to agree with the policy of 'freedom of speech' right!?

I'm not convinced by Your argument Kohoutek and think that You are just reflecting the common line of the 'bigger' forum members! Defending the 'status quo' is as old as time itself!

Thanks for Your comment and all the best to You!
    Regards,
    Dave.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by htpc View Post
    Threatening people with legal action before they have even done anything wrong is not really a remark I'd expect from somebody with "broad shoulders".

And yes, I agree with you, forum moderators are getting stricter.
    'Threatening legal action before they have even done anything wrong!?' Oh please .... give me strength! I was merely giving a friendly suggestion that SP members better not be too bold in any comments they may pass on my mental illness (as discussed earlier). You might be surprised how savage and prejudiced some posters are on other forums Htpc! Not pretty! D.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CodeJester View Post
    This whole discussion can be distilled down to a core point: choice. It is our choice to visit these forums, and it is our choice to leave them. While both sides of this debate have valid points, in the end, it comes down to your choice to visit here. If the overall moderation of this forum is not to your liking, please exercise your ability to leave here. You have not paid any fee to become a member here so you are not out anything if you leave. If you receive a horrible meal and service at your local restaurant, would you return? Probably not, you would exercise your ability to choose, and you would take your business elsewhere.

Again, everyone here is here by choice and everyone here can choose to leave. If these forums/fellow posters/moderators are not acceptable or serve you no purpose, then feel free to spend your time on one of the other sites (that you have indicated rank higher anyway).

Thanks for Your friendly suggestion CodeJester! (I'm not going to say surely You 'jest' as it doesn't fit the flavor of Your valid observations - just having some fun.. wink).

I'm well aware that I can choose to leave Site Point whenever I wish but the rapid fire of debate in this thread keeps me somewhat rivetted!

Is it really a no-no to pass comment on Forum Moderators and their practices!? Surely this type of posting should be encouraged more! We can all learn and improve right!?

The 'overall Moderation of This Forum' Is to my liking actually but I still believe that some improvements could be attended to!

As for not eating again at a 'bad' restaurant because of the poor quality of meal served, I would clearly express my dissatisfaction to the restaurant's manager and not just 'vote with my feet'!

Nothing like a bit of healthy self-expression I think! What say You CodeJester!?

To the best of my knowledge, there is only One other Forum of this nature (besides Site Point) that ranks higher on Alexa! The reason that I don't frequent it more is that I have been given a Temporary suspension, so there is no point in visiting!

While both sides of this debate have valid points
    This is the one thing of value (in my humble opinion) that I took from Your posting CodeJester! Thanks for that!

Best Regards!
    Dave.