Thread: Please help!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help!

Hi everyone,
    I am very VERY new at dynamic websites and have only done static html sites in the past, but am ready to branch out and learn php and mysql. I have watched numerous video tutorials on php,mysql, dreamweaver cs3, and how they all work together.

I have followed all the steps on the tutorials and the website works great on my local testing server, but how in the world do I get it on my remote server?! This is probably a very stupid question but I am at the point of not caring about looking stupid. I just want to know what Im missing/ doing wrong. The website is hosted with GoDaddy, am I supposed to have something set up there or a different server? I have tried using ftp to transfer all files over to the domain but when I visit the domain, the php pages do not work.

Please excuse my ignorance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No man... don't worry.

Never worry about seeming dumb, If i can't figure crap out i always ask as well.

OK...

So you have registrar and then a host. The registrar (godaddy) buys the domain for you. The host stores the data out there so even if your computer is shut off people can access the data.

So you just need to get a host. I suggest LunarPages myself. (Choose the cheapest plan)

They will give you dns details.

Something like ns4.lunarpages.com and ns5.lunarpages.com and you put that into the godaddy dns page.

That basically says... to the person requesting the domain... "Hey look over here at these files".

They will also provide ftp details. You ftp in and just copy the files from your "localhost" to the paid host (lunarpages or whoever)

Good Luck , Its really easy once you've done it 1x.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much. I still am not sure that will fix my problem. I already have a host set up and actually have a static webstite on it right now. But I am wanting to publish the dynamic website. The MySql database is saved on my computer and I am not sure how to go about getting it on my server. When I set up a database connection and recordset in dreamweaver,and then publish a test php file, and open it on mywebsite.com/test.php ,it is just a blank page. Do I have to save the database to my host?

Thank you so much for replying and helping me!