SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Central Site and Affiliate Site

I'm not entirely sure this is the proper forum to post this, but since the site has not been built yet and I am looking for a solution to a problem that involves design in a way, I figured I should start here.

Without the bounds of any one technology, does anyone know of a good Content Management System that would fit this bill.

I work for a Corporation that has multiple satellite sites across the country. Each one of these satellite sites add content to their own site via a blog (of sorts). Each of these satellites have limited staff and therefore cannot update their pages as often as they need to be.

I would like to deploy an opensource solution that allows for each of the satellite offices to post their blog articles to one main site and then each satellite can get the pool of content to their own sites while keeping their individual design and metrics intact and separate from each other satellite company or even the central site.

If I'm in the wrong forum to discuss the planning of a site like this then I apologize. Please move to the correct forum.

Thanks for your time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just hire a couple of engineers to take care of it if you don't know how to do it... easy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might consider using Wordpress. To be honest, what you are going to do is have the information in one area, and just let the satellite sites pull from it. If you host on the same server, you would use addon domains to mask the location so it won't appear on the same server, then tweak each Wordpress installation to pull data from that one area and limit what is shown. That would be the gist of how it could be handled - though messy.

I haven't used Wordpress, so you might be able to get what you want without that.
    Rexibit Web Services
    Don't just build it - CSS it

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexibit View Post
    You might consider using Wordpress. To be honest, what you are going to do is have the information in one area, and just let the satellite sites pull from it. If you host on the same server, you would use addon domains to mask the location so it won't appear on the same server, then tweak each Wordpress installation to pull data from that one area and limit what is shown. That would be the gist of how it could be handled - though messy.

I haven't used Wordpress, so you might be able to get what you want without that.
    Yeah I was looking at Wordpress to be quite honest. I have a server set aside for the project... I didn't want to spend a lot of time on it, hence I was asking around to see if there was something already available to handle the task that would be suitable or at least easily modded. I guess that could qualify a number of different OpenSource CMS's out there. I just wasn't sure if one would be more suited for the task.

Wordpress seems like it could work, but it seems as if I would need to split the database into two. A Central DB to house the content, seperate DB's to house each individual design by the affiliates. I'm not completely sure if that would work or not, but it seems plausible at least.

Thanks for the input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only other option that I know of is using a ERP system like SAP or ORACLE. But, with some creative planning, you shouldn't have to employ a third-party to help you solve the problem. The thing is, most companies which are in need of linking several different companies have a good support staff that would already have content management systems.

Another thing you could do is to rip the relevant sections with PHP or another language for each site off the main one.
    Rexibit Web Services

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just it, the company has a CMS that serves it's purpose, its just this time around, the CMS that we have in place doesn't have the standard feature set that is needed (comments, permalinks, etc) and the development team has no desire to add any of those features. So it is kind of a rogue venture to prove a point while increasing brand awareness, pageviews, but more importantly unique visitors. Without interaction to what we post and a true link for SEO purposes, I feel we are doing ourselves and our audience a disservice.

Thanks for your time. I think I have a few ideas that I need to try out, most involve just hacking the content engine of a site and creating a frankenCMS to save some time. Again, its not vitale that I do it, so there is no reason to waste a lot of time. If done just right, the development team will take notice and it will be implemented with the current CMS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooo, it sounds like an interesting venture then and I wish you the best of luck.

Development teams are often busy, but they are there to "work with" the company and improve their capabilities for effectiveness. The only thing I want to point out to you is that they might see this as a way to have a jab at their ego. IT buffs are generally very proud of what they do, and they might not be as willing to help you on future projects if they feel you don't need them. The last thing a company needs are factions forming.

Who knows, maybe you could offer to set up a project team that will get some reward for implementing these features? That way, they feel you need them and would be more willing to help you since this would need to be done around their real job.

I don't know, or want to know, what is behind your reasoning more than you have already said. However, I just wanted to point out some possibilities.
    Rexibit Web Services

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well trust me... I am one of the affiliate sites. They are good in a lot of ways so I don't have much to complain about, but this is something desperately needed and has been overlooked for 2 years. So it is my responsibility to create the best environment for my end users and give them the best content possible. So.... I shall do what I have to on that end.

It just hit me like a ton of bricks... RSS would be an easy way to pull in what I need without having to touch the DB and rip apart an entire content management system to create some sort of hybrid. Sometimes I think I look for the elaborate fix first rather than actually thinking the problem through.