User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Illustrator gradient mesh question...

Hi,

I'm just delving into Illustrators gradient mesh tool and have come up against a problem...which is hopefully easily solved.
    I have a simple shape with a gradient mesh that i am happy with but i now want to trim a shape out of it. If this was a flat vector i would draw my shape, highlight both shapes in my layers palette and chose trim from the pathfinder.
    This doesn't seem to work now i have a gradient mesh on the shape though...does anyone have any ideas how i can subtract a shape from my gradient mesh shape?

Thanks for any help

G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried but couldn't do it.
    How about creating your shape first and then adding gradient mesh.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I am trying it now. It says gradient meshes cannot be used as compound shape elements. Try rasterizing it or exporting the gradient mesh as a .png image, and reimporting it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for your replies.
    In the end i had to make two seperate shapes and then add the mesh as i couldn't find another way to do it.
    One thing i also came across was the printing out of the gradients...they didn't graduate very well at all but look fine on screen. I've not had this before and still can't fathom why it's happening.

Cheers