SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member fitzpatrickbrett's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Need Flashdevelop tutorials..if they even exist.

Hi,

I make animations sometimes alongside my usual business of doing illustrations and logos. Luckily for me the computer donated to me had photoshop preinstalled so illustrations are no problem, even animated gifs can be done, but if I want something with interactivity or sound I apparently need flash (compatibility etc reasons). Problem is it isn't preinstalled on my computer and it is outside my budget. So I went open source. Open office saved me from having to buy powerpoint after all. I did a bit of research downloaded flashdevelop and got it working. It seems to be aimed at people who know what they are doing though. Does anyone know of some good (free) resources that would help me learn how to use it.
    My limited experience with site promotion..
    www.spiralcat.co.uk/site_blog.aspx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are tons of flash tutorials available, a simple Google search will do.
    Good Luck!
    There are things known and Things unknown
    And in between are the Doors.
    I love hand Coding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jim_morrison3 View Post
    There are tons of flash tutorials available, a simple Google search will do.
    Yes, true, but I'm a novice and Flashdevelop has a slightly different language to Flash and a completely different interface (apparently, I've never seen Flash going on a computer screen). I was wondering if anyone knew of Flashdevelop specific lessons, instructions anything. The tutorials I have tried so far from the flashdevelop wiki have all been too advanced for me, (as someone who has never had his hands on Flash), to even work out what lesson I'm supposed to be learning from each.

If someone who was familiar with Flash and Flash devekop and could give me a link to learning resources for Flash that also applied to Flashdevelop that would be great.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think you can ask there
    flashdevelop.org

and i see ther Project samples & tutorials
    flashdevelop.org/community/viewtopic.php?p=1583
    Affiliate classroom -only 1$ for 14 days! Click here now!
    The Internet Marketing University they will teach you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

It's great that you guys are trying to help, but I'm the poster boy for the dummies that the guide books are aimed at. I looked at the tutorials you mentioned but couldn't make head nor tail of them.

For example one streaming video tutorial said something like. The video can easily be added to the library as a resource, or something simillar. Sounds easy I thought and dragged and dropped a windows.mov file to a folder I spotted on the left marked library. The tutorial wouldn't compile and run anymore. Ok no problem I dragged and dropped it back out, It looked the same as before I'd messed with it but it wouldn't work anymore.

The tutorial seemed to assume knowledge that I just didn't have.

I posted a question in the forum, something like "where does the .mov file go?" but no joy. I really need some basic Flash description but one that is compatable with FlashDevelop. There is no point me learning to build code with a GUI if Flashdevelop doesn't have one.

Maybee I've just bitten off more than I can chew with this app and it should only be tackled by developers?

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Flashdevelop is more a developers tool for writing code heavy projects than an application for creating simple animations. You'd undoubtably find it a lot easier to use a gui based animation application (there are cheaper applications that create simple flash animations e.g sothink swf quicker)

If you're determined to use code for animations you might want to consider using the open source php ming extension which has plenty examples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks. Ming looks scary. I'm more of a visual person and ming seems to use something called a command line. If I remeber right from school, that's the horrible green flashing arrow you get when you switch off windows. No I Need a mouse. Ming is a no go (although I do like the price $0).

sothink swf quicker looks much more appealing. But is the free version any good? The full version costs almost $100, well I suppose there's only one way to find out. I'll download it. Thanks for pointing me in this direction. EastCoast