SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another set of weird requirements

I am putting together a website for an organic foods co-op and have several rather odd needs for the shopping cart.

1. If a customer orders a standard "box" for the week, he or she can add any individual items currently available (eggs, for instance, at $3.50, for a total order of $38.50). If, however, he does not order a box, the minimum order total must be $60.

2. We want to be able to show currently available products but not display prices unless the customer is registered and logged in.

3. On the first time a new customer places an order, we want to automatically add a quarterly membership fee to the total before he checks out -- and the fee cannot be deleted.

4. Is it possible to set certain items to be visible only to certain groups? We have customers 1, 2, and 3 who each pay 1/3 of a particular custom box each week. We would like to set them up in their own group and set up an item something like "1/3 share in Custom Box" that is visible only to these three people.

5. Can items be simultaneously placed in more than one category? We want to set up categories based on the item (e.g. Fruit/Apples/Fuji) and also current and seasonal categories. We want to be able to display only items that are currently available. Fuji apples would always be listed under Fruit/Apples/Fuji and when they are available will also be listed also under Current. Only the Current category will be visible to customers at any time, so we need to be able to move things in and out of it while not messing with their other categories.

Possibilities:

I'm familiar with Sunshop 4 (needs some custom programming on 1 and 3), Cubecart 3 (needs a number of mods and may require custom programming for 1 and 3), and Cubecart 4 (needs custom programming for 1 and 3). Avactis is out -- no multiple categories per product, no groups.

Other needs: must be easy to skin (I've already done the skin for Cubecart 3 and can easily port that to 4), must be easy for a nontechnical administrator to use, must have a logical flow for purchasing and adding to cart, must integrate with Paypal for payments, must have a reasonable developer community so I can get help with the custom programming stuff. Must not be terribly expensive; it's a nonprofit and there isn't a great deal of money to spend.

I like Sunshop for a number of reasons and it looks like it will do most of what I need fresh out of the box. I've used it on two other sites, so I know what I don't like about it -- support tends to be rather unhelpful and there isn't much in the way of developer community. I will need a programmer to help on some of this.

Any other suggestions? Software I haven't considered?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I assume there might be many possibilities, but the first requirement seems a bit unclear to me. Could you slightly clarify boht mentioned scenqarios?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me see if I can explain more clearly.

We have standard boxes in three sizes, each of which contain an assortment of the week's fruits and vegetables. A half box, $35, is suitable for one or two people; a full box, $60, is good for a family of 3 or 4; while an extra-full box at $80 might be good for a larger family or for two families to share.

We also have many individual items that can be purchased as extras in addition to the standard box. Eggs, milk, more expensive fruits that might not be included in the box, etc. It's also possible to purchase more of items which are in the box -- if your family eats a lot of salad and you want extra lettuce, you can buy more for a small charge.

What has happened is that new people will ask to buy only a couple of the individual items without ordering a box. Labor costs make it worthwhile to pull only large special orders of individual items, not small ones.

Therefore, the cart needs to check for two conditions.

- If the order contains a standard box at $35, $60, or $80, regardless of order total, proceed to checkout.

or

- if the order does not include a standard box but the total is greater than or equal to $60, proceed to checkout;

else

- display a message that the order must either include a standard box or total at least $60, and offer a return to the store to choose more items.

Does that help?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, thank you. In this case, I assume that it's quite difficult to implement this without any customizations. For example, you may consider using X-Cart as an option (I've worked on many stores using this product, it is quite cheap and can easily be customized for your needs).

1 - The most complex one. Of course, a store-wide order total can be set, but in order to exclude some products, you'll need to implement an extra field and control the sum by analyzing it. This is not too hard, but may require a good PHP knowledge and some time to find the appropriate code (there's a good community and they're likely to help).
    2 - can be implemented quite easily using a small customization
    3 - can also be done w/ a small customization
    4 - possible using membership levels
    5 - possible by default

So, that's it. Maybe an open source like zencart/oscommerce would be good for you, but I'm not quite sure about the efforts it will take. If you know CubeCart well, that might also be an option. I'd advice contacting sales dept. in any case before deciding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much. I do know Cubecart fairly well but am not completely confident of my ability to create mods this complex.

I've looked at X-Cart and sent these questions to their sales team, so soon I will know more. I also like the fact that they have people on staff who will create modifications and support them.