SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c2uk View Post
    Don't limit it to sleeping - I know you only brought this up as an example in your original post. Expand on this point and give some tips on what to do to keep healthy.

So, that's just a suggestion on how you could improve your original post or maybe an idea for another one.
    c2uk - I am sorry but what I posted here is my complete post. But I have a separate post about keeping yourself healthy during blogging. Here is a small portion of it.

How to Keep your Health when Blogging

1.0 Do not push your limits. Set your available time for blogging and follow it. The problem with me is that I think too much on what to post and how it can be presented.

2.0 Have sufficient fluids. Having enough fluids inside our body is very important and all of us know that. Drinking at least 8 glasses of water daily is sufficient enough to keep us healthy.

3.0 Maintain a personal hygiene. I hate to admit it but there are weekends that I forgot to take a bath and when I realize it, I become lazy because it is already time to sleep.

4.0 Exercise daily.
    According to my physical therapist, sitting for two straight hours is just fine. However, it is better if you stretch your fingers and other joints every thirty minutes.

5.0 Have a healthy environment.
    Since I am doing this regularly, I would like to share this with you. Clean your PC at least every other day to remove the dust that may cause you allergy.

PS. I also agree with you with the English issue. I am a Filipino but my English speaking readers admire the way I write write it. According to them, they like simpler English.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's some good advice, didn't see this blog post when I had a look on your blogs, that's why I suggested expanding on this particular and very important topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks for browsing my blog posts. By the way, to make my readers find my archive posts, I made a post two months ago containing a summary list of my favorite posts. You will notice that the above post is also included - My All-time Favorite Humane Blogging Tips

Unfortunately, I have not included my recent ones.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These Days, Blogging is the best way to earn money and get back links for your sites.
    Web Services India
    Make Money Online:Make money fast at home with money making ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by serg08 View Post
    I liked this part the most and would like to add one more Don't

6. don't write something that is not true

A: It was custom designed by a friend who is a very good professional designer. It isn’t available for others, although I wish I could release it as a free theme. My designer friend is not accepting new work.

Can you believe it? Because I don't believe that a designer is not accepting new work
    I believe it, because the designer of the blog is Collis Ta'eed, owner of eden.cc, which includes very high traffic blog such as freelanceswitch.com, psdtuts.com, buysellads.com and flashden (and many more). He own and operates at least 15 large websites; and stopped taking design works from others about a years ago.

Why would he waste his time designing websites when he has other profitable ventures and employs more than 50+ people all around the world?

Besides collis owns the right of the blog theme. If you get a custom design work done, even if you pay for it; you don't necessarily own the right of the theme and distribute without direct permission from the designer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My points:

3. don't start a blog if English is not your first language and you are targeting English speaking audience
    English is my fourth language.

Rather, don't start a blog if you suck at English.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, in your opinion you can only make money with the really popular topics, right? As I said, I'd like to see a definition of popular from you and compared your definition to niche.

Obviously, not all niche topics work and make money for you. As always, some research before you set out needs to be done.

There are other ways to monetise on your blog, depending on your chosen topic.

Also, it's not likely that I can give you a blog that makes money in a niche, because I don't blog right now and I'm personally not interested in a specific niche at the moment (except for Drupal which imho is a niche topic, and there's good money involved blogging about Drupal but more as a way to promote your own services), I've given up on blogging because I suck writing and expressing my thoughts.

Anyway, whatever topic you do, you shouldn't limit yourself to just one blog. Because for every Zenhabit, there are at least 1,000 who don't succeed. And if you follow Leo's practice:

you've got more than enough time to maintain more than just one blog if you do it full-time. If you still have a full-time job, you are more limited but than you've got all the time to build up your blogging skills and do not have the pressure to make money.
    It's difficult to discuss a topic of blogging with you, when you yourself don't blog.
    I wish I could add some more to it, but you didn't necessarily disagree with what I said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I slightly disagree with this point.

Your point becomes more valid if English speaking audience = native English speakers. But you need to consider that there are many people who's native language isn't English, yet their command of English is excellent, as well as you find native English who's command of written English (grammar and spelling) is very poor.

agree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pavelmaha View Post
    English is my fourth language.

Rather, don't start a blog if you suck at English.
    I think this is unfair. Anyone can always hire a writer, and you can also improve your English if you blog. Practice makes perfect, you know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post
    I think this is unfair. Anyone can always hire a writer, and you can also improve your English if you blog. Practice makes perfect, you know.
    Yeah, thats why I said, English is my fourth language, it's not my first language. I learned english. But if someone cant even put a sentence together, they shouldn't bother blogging in English. I am not referring to anyone in particular. And I know quite a few bloggers, who are blogging in english, giving seo tips; they can barely put a sentence together. That's just painfull too read. They should rather write in their own langauge.

We are not talking about hiring writers. Good luck trying to hire cheap writers and call their work yours and hire commentators to fill ones blog with comments and hope for a long time solution. That's just sad.

Hiring writers and calling their work yours and hiring people to comment on your blog to make it look busy is not a blog. It's a scam!
    You will be surprised how many people does it regularly!

Yes, I hire writers too. But they have their own profile page; their posts have their own name on it. They get all the credit, I own the content. That's the legitimate "honest" way to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiring someone to post comments on blogs? Thats ridiculous! This is the first time I heard of such.

English is my second language and our schools here in the Philippines teaches us to speak English since kindergarten. But then, you are right. We can always write in our local dialect but our visitors can be limited.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Blogging is one of the most interesting career and entertainment these days, and everyone seems to love it. Anyone who knows how to read and write can immediately start a blog by using free or paid hosting. However, it is hard to maintain one and making it long lasting can be a nightmare. Before you know it, you get paranoid and quit. Just like any activity, it requires planning and patience. To make your blog worth the effort, below are some practical but very valuable tips.

Know your interest

If you really want blogging to be a part of your life, then choose a topic that interests you. It may not be popular, but if you are happy with it you can provide fresh ideas. After all, topics are endless and it is up to you make it interesting to read. If you decide to join the crowd, be sure that you can beat the odds and be visible to many. Competition is very tough, and the lack of interest will stop you sooner than you expect. If you are blogging for money alone, forget it.

Know the system

Although you can still blog even if you are not a technical person, there are times to should learn them. You should learn the basic first because things will get complicated as you go along, and it will be hard for you to catch up later on. Read other blogs and sites where you can get a lot of useful tips and advises on how to do things and how to improve them. More importantly, know the rules to avoid future problems. You should grow everyday just like a grade school student.

Know your limits

Blogging requires patience, time and good health. If you do not have all of them, you will not stay long in this field. Patience is a must because it is not easy to win readers, as much as it takes a while before you can earn trust. Time management is very important because you will be very busy for the coming days. Promoting your blog and thinking about your next post are among the toughest part, and you will have to sacrifice other things such as enough sleep.

Know a blogger

While you can learn by yourself through research and tutorials, it is still better if you know someone who blogs. It will be easier for you to learn if you will watch him blogging rather than just chatting with him. In addition, he must be a friend who is willing to share his time, effort and knowledge wholeheartedly. You can also meet fellow friendly bloggers on-line who can help you. However, you have to be very careful especially about money and other personal information.

Blogging is a passion, not a play. It is also a career, but not a job.
    Great Post! Thanks for the sound advice given! Regards, Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome, Dave. I am also posting other tips elsewhere here at SP.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Know the system

Although you can still blog even if you are not a technical person, there are times to should learn them. You should learn the basic first because things will get complicated as you go along, and it will be hard for you to catch up later on. Read other blogs and sites where you can get a lot of useful tips and advises on how to do things and how to improve them. More importantly, know the rules to avoid future problems. You should grow everyday just like a grade school student.
    [B]
    Fantastic post! Thanks. I agree, this one is key. If you're just starting and you don't know the system, you'll need to build in an "educational buffer" before you even think of getting hands-on with a blog. If you don't learn the system(s), it'll eventually cripple you. Seriously.

Also, I'd throw in "knowing what's involved with a server" too if you need to expand beyond shared hosting. I spent a month trying to learn how to manage a dedicated server until I got to the point where I was my own tech-support instead of writer, editor, and managing jack-of-all-tades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HerbTarlek View Post
    Fantastic post! Thanks. I agree, this one is key. If you're just starting and you don't know the system, you'll need to build in an "educational buffer" before you even think of getting hands-on with a blog. If you don't learn the system(s), it'll eventually cripple you. Seriously.

Also, I'd throw in "knowing what's involved with a server" too if you need to expand beyond shared hosting. I spent a month trying to learn how to manage a dedicated server until I got to the point where I was my own tech-support instead of writer, editor, and managing jack-of-all-tades.
    You're welcome. Actually, I am looking forward to do the same.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me a blog is a way of expressing your ideas, emotions. experiences and so much more.. blog should is not a complicated thing with rules, do 's and dont's in blog we are all free to be ourselves..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkira View Post
    for me a blog is a way of expressing your ideas, emotions. experiences and so much more.. blog should is not a complicated thing with rules, do 's and dont's in blog we are all free to be ourselves..
    There are definitely dos and donts if you are trying to make money from it.
    Like I previously said, if it is a hobby or money is not an issue, do whatever you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkira View Post
    Bogging is NOT a complicated thing, but there are factors you should consider to stay longer, unless you want to blog alone. Blogging is sharing, not just expressing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very useful resource to provide information to everyone.

and in My opinion is I build blog for learning something and sharing something in my life.

love is begin and do is follow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice to share

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I slightly disagree with this point.

Your point becomes more valid if English speaking audience = native English speakers. But you need to consider that there are many people who's native language isn't English, yet their command of English is excellent, as well as you find native English who's command of written English (grammar and spelling) is very poor.
    very well said. You've got the point!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=serg08;3897854]My points:

3. don't start a blog if English is not your first language and you are targeting English speaking audience

English is my 2nd language and I still have 10K visits a month. However I must say that it would probably grow a lot faster if I wasn't making grammar mistakes!

Bottom line; it takes a lot of time and effort to maintain a good blog! good luck to all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=FinancialBlogger;3929832]
    English is my 2nd language and I still have 10K visits a month. However I must say that it would probably grow a lot faster if I wasn't making grammar mistakes!

Bottom line; it takes a lot of time and effort to maintain a good blog! good luck to all!
    English is also my 2nd language and I think that even those who are those are really fluent in English also commit grammar mistakes.

I think that grammar mistakes (the minimal ones )can be hardly be noticed by readers especially if the topic interests them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maintain a personal hygiene. I hate to admit it but there are weekends that I forgot to take a bath and when I realize it, I become lazy because it is already time to sleep.
    Does this mean that the author washes just once a week?

Anyway guys, thanks for the tips - really helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas77 View Post
    Does this mean that the author washes just once a week?

Anyway guys, thanks for the tips - really helpful.
    No, it is the other way around. Weekends are not my washing day. lol!

It is a secret so please do not share it others..he! he! he!

You're welcome though. It is my pleasure!