SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

transparent FLVs

is there a way to have Flash import an flv video so that portion of the video has an alpha channel, therefore the contents from the flash movie underneath of the video shows? Can flvs support alpha regions?

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, you'll have to prepare the video in another application e.g such as after effects, with the necessary area in the alpha channel masked, then export as an .avi or quicktime(animation codec) that supports an alpha channel before importing.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well here's the thing,
    Flash has the option to disregard the stage color and create alpha channel in place on export (which is all I need) ...as I understand that, that should give me transparency in the mov file I'm exporting wherever stage is visible.

thing is i don't know how to test the mov whether the alpha is actually there. That would be a wise thing to do before I continue to making the flv from it

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should be able to test the alpha channel in your compositing software. Put a temporary coloured background layer below your content layer so it's easy to see it show through the transparent areas.