SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Community Advisor ULTiMATE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,160
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How to handle arguments in Blog posts?

    Let's say you had recently published a Blog post detailing your opinions and views on a certain matter, only for a commenter to reach your page and disagree with everything you've said.

    In many ways it's great to have someone commenting on your Blog, and many of the points can be very valid, but what would you all do when someone is disagreeing with the points you've made. I've seen it happen on countless Blog's and it's always fascinated me to see how different people deal with it. How do you deal with a clash of opinion (or fact), especially when you know that one side is wrong?

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard Mike Borozdin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    1,743
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you one that one side is certainly wrong, then clearly say that. I don't see any problems with arguments if they follow the topic and remain polite. Arguments have always been attracting for people. Go through this forum, for instance, many large threads contain some sort of arguments, that is actually why they are so large.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Guru htpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely approve the comment, then follow it up with your own points. A good debate on your blog is healthy for attracting returning visitors.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

  4. #4
    Community Advisor ULTiMATE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,160
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Borozdin View Post
    If you one that one side is certainly wrong, then clearly say that. I don't see any problems with arguments if they follow the topic and remain polite. Arguments have always been attracting for people. Go through this forum, for instance, many large threads contain some sort of arguments, that is actually why they are so large.
    If only arguments were that easy to solve.

    Because of the anonymous nature of the Internet, despite any sort of logic, reasoning and proof you'll get one side that'll disagree completely. Despite the obvious scientific proof there are people that believe the Sun revolves around the Earth, and in a less-serious manner there are people that'll reply to a Blog post that'll flat-out agree with you, despite any 'proof' you can provide.

    In many ways online proof is never real proof to many.

    Quote Originally Posted by htpc View Post
    Definitely approve the comment, then follow it up with your own points. A good debate on your blog is healthy for attracting returning visitors.
    A real debate is healthy, but a complete disagreement could drag on for days, effectively ruining the flow of comments. Due to its linear nature it's very hard to keep multiple points of view on a Blog post and once one conversation takes over it can damage the quality of the comments in the future.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be confident what all you are writing on your blog.. If you are writing right no one will be disagree with you.. but if some arguing about the other way of doing the same thing you written you can easily answer him...
    But write only things you are perfect with.. it like "Think before you speak"

  6. #6
    SitePoint Guru htpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A real debate is healthy, but a complete disagreement could drag on for days, effectively ruining the flow of comments. Due to its linear nature it's very hard to keep multiple points of view on a Blog post and once one conversation takes over it can damage the quality of the comments in the future.
    I think in such cases it's best to explain to the poster that the argument is going nowhere and you will not be publishing any more of their comments under that post. Tell them you respect their opinions and hope they will not be offended and will continue to visit the site.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

  7. #7
    SitePoint Addict pavelmaha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a blogger, you are not necessarily always stating the fact (unless its a news), but merely giving your opinion on a subject. You should accept that there are other people in this world who doesn't share your opinion. There are two things you can do:

    1) Argue his opinion with yours, if you are really passionate about it.
    2) Ignore it, and let it go.

    When you open yourself on the internet in the form of blog/forum posting/chats. You got to have a thick skin. Or you won't survive.

    I never delete any comments in my blog (which ranges from 15 avg comments per post), I however delete obvious spams which runs through the anti-spam. Some of those comments are encouraging and others are downright insulting. I just ignore them.

    This reminds me of one of my favorite comic:


  8. #8
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,350
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    someone is wrong on teh interwebs, but i'm going to go for a walk instead

    ULTiMATE, you made a very astute observation in your initial post -- "... especially when you know that one side is wrong?"

    the key to success here is realizing that you just might be on that side

    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  9. #9
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right or wrong it's your blog. Say what you want to say :P. Follow up for sure.

  10. #10
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, make sure that you state facts and not opinions, beliefs or hearsay. Back up those facts. If people dispute them point to the backup, unless you like to write down opinions or beliefs, then you must accept other people's opinions as well.

    Opinions, feelings and sensing something can always be disputed.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  11. #11
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont knock it there are a lot of bloggers out there who would love comments whether they be argumentative or not it will only be a good thing for your site so i would let the debate continue.

  12. #12
    SitePoint Addict GuardianAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer calling it forum rather than argument. Argument invites hurting words. If you're sure that you are right, you do not have to shout do you?

  13. #13
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,029
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one is obligated to agree with anything you say. They are obligated, however, to observe at least some basic rules of courtesy and decorum in disagreeing with you.

    Acceptable: I disagree with you, and here's five solid reasons why.
    Acceptable if Childish: I disagree with you, I don't care what you say back, neener neener neener.
    Unacceptable: I disagree with you, you sorry #@%!.
    Very Unacceptable: You say that because you're a child molester.


    It's your call whether to kill the discussion, or at least that poster's participation, in examples 3 and 4. I'd probably ban the poster on the 4th.

    Like most things, there's a rate of diminishing returns on negative and contentious blog conversations. A certain amount of disagreement makes for a lively and often productive discussion. But when it turns into a slapfest or a flame war, while the participants may enjoy going at one another, many other visitors are turned off and leave the blog.

    Unless your commenters are the equivalent of US pro wrestling fans, then nothing of what I said applies.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Addict pavelmaha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is a different thinking state of mind among new bloggers comparing to the more experienced ones.

    There seems to be an assumption that reading your blog and commenting on them is a privilege.

    When did that happen?

    If you make a living from your blog. You readers are your main resources. Nothing else matters. It's like a business (actually, it is a business). In the real world (offline world), if you have a business and when you treat your customers as if you are doing them a favor, this will effect your business.

    Similarly, in your blog, if you constrict your readers (ie, customers) too much; your blog will suffer. Your readers will pick your up and spit you out like you never existed.

    Obviously there is a limit on how liberal can you be in your blog (like black max mentioned); but if I were to assume that you are making an effort to make some money from your blog, you should just suck it up.

    A fine example for me is Zenhabits blog. I have been following Leo since he started almost a little bit more than a year ago. I have seen his feed readers swell from 50 readers to well over 60,000 now. What's his secret? Apart from having a good writing skill, he has an excellent relationship with his readers, not only does he not moderate their comments, he engages and encourages his readers to debate and participate actively through comments (he has forum too). He himself admitted (in interviews) that his success in blogging has been because of his relationship with his readers.

    Since his humble beginning, with a family of six members, he makes enough money from his blogs that he quits his day job few months ago. That's success for me, and a good example to follow.

    But if you are not thinking about making money from your blog, than we shouldn't be having this discussion in the first place; because you can do whatever the hell you want with your comments.

  15. #15
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @pavelmaha

    Very interesting how one can make a living out of one blog. It looks very inspirational.
    Whatever the comments are made, whether its an argument or something else. If they are legitimate discussion, it would be fine for me.

  16. #16
    SitePoint Addict pavelmaha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always make money from one blog. I have several however, because each of my blog has specific topic.

    Anyways, Leo's source of income (as far as I know):
    He sells 125x125 ads $1 CPM.

    He has a donations button.

    He sells ads through premium blogads network, which is invite only and open for only high traffic blogs, like zenhabits. Where he sells ads at the rate of $600/week; sometimes he has 2-3 of those per week, some weeks he doesn't have any.

    He wrote an ebook about productivity (the subject of his blog), sold for $10 each, I am guessing with 60,000 feed readers, even if he sells them to half of his feed-reader count; which is highly likely, because of his good relationship with his readers, he would make $300,000 from a single e-book!

    Finally, because of the fame he got from his blog, he got a book deal (paperback book), which is coming out later this year.

    All from a blog, in little more than a year. He might have other sources of income I might not be aware of.

  17. #17
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disable the comment option! (joke)
    Actually it really depends on the comments. If its reasonable enough to air his/her opinion then you publish it. But if its looking for a place to fight then ignore it.

    Its your blog, and you have the right to express your own opinion.

  18. #18
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone loves a good debate, so leave the comments alone (except when they've gone beyond your limitations like profanity or whatever). It's your blog, and you have all the right to have a say in the debates.

  19. #19
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    A real debate is healthy, but a complete disagreement could drag on for days, effectively ruining the flow of comments. Due to its linear nature it's very hard to keep multiple points of view on a Blog post and once one conversation takes over it can damage the quality of the comments in the future.


    And that's where the wonderful Threaded Comments plugin comes in.
    TYCP Magazine
    Picspaces - image hosting with unlimited bandwidth
    Hollywood Encountered - submit your celebrity encounters

  20. #20
    SitePoint Guru dojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    899
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have different opinions sometimes and I don't have any problem with my readers voicing their owns. The main thing is that all needs to be kept civilized, otherwise I delete the comment. as long as we are debating in a mature way, I love a good chat

  21. #21
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will approve their comments. Every person has its own opinion and don't expect that they will agree to you. I will be shock if all the people who visited my blog agreed to what i posted.

  22. #22
    SitePoint Member digitalballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the argument is constructive I think it's all good. More discussion is better. In fact as a blogger you may want to encourage people to disagree with you.

    If they're being an ***, just delete it. If they're consistently being an ***, block them.
    If you're good at something never do it for free.
    -The Joker

  23. #23
    Community Advisor ULTiMATE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,160
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sha View Post
    And that's where the wonderful Threaded Comments plugin comes in.
    I'm not really a fan of it to be honest. It just doesn't feel that good to accommodate that many different conversations within one Blog post. Besides, threaded comments have always felt like a throw-back from the old-fashioned forum days.

  24. #24
    SitePoint Guru Paid Surveys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is just the risk you take with blogging there's no getting around it, if you publish online and encourage comments then this will happen. Providing they are not abusive I'd leave them alone.

  25. #25
    Community Advisor ULTiMATE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,160
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paid Surveys View Post
    That is just the risk you take with blogging there's no getting around it, if you publish online and encourage comments then this will happen. Providing they are not abusive I'd leave them alone.
    Another problem that many haven't overlooked is that many people do have a Blog, and if you were unlucky enough to get in a colossal argument over something stupid then the person in the wrong might turn around and publish something on their Blog to discredit you. This happens quite a lot with the popular ones, especially Coding Horror.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •