SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ebooks on my website?

Hi there. I'm a total newbie as regards to website design. However, after reading Ian Lloyd's terrific book: 'Build Your Own Web Site etc', and successfully building the 'BubbleUnder' site, I now know how to build one! Hooray!
    I'm also familiar with creating ebooks. The problem is, I have'nt a clue on how to get the ebooks on to my site when it's built? To make matters more complicated, as well as free ebooks, I want to sell ebooks via paypal!
    I'm finding it next to impossible to find any easy to understand information on the web regarding this subject. I'm also aware that the answer may be to big for the forum? If this is the case, does anyone know of any (easy to understand) sites/books. Hope someone can help. Cheers. Steve.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hi steevo, welcome to the forums,
    Are the ebooks in PDF format? Do you want to link to them (to open in the user's client-side app/plugin), or display them as part of the page (in the HTML)?
    I have never tried to monetize a site (yet), so I can't offer suggestions there, but I'm sure others can.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there. Thanks for your help.
    Yes, they are all PDF format. And no, I don't want them displayed as part of a page... just as regular ebook downloads.
    When you ask if I want to link my ebooks 'to open in the user's client-side app/plugin', do you mean to open in a user's browser? (Remember I'm a newbie!).If so, then yes. I want them to open in a user's browser.
    Earlier today, through trial and error, (and using the BubbleUnder site as a test), I successfully managed to get an ebook to open by creating a clickable link on the site! I did this by adding a 'a href' attribute (tags) to the html markup. Then I placed the ebook inside a folder and placed this folder inside the web folder with all the sites existing html files... It worked perfectly when I clicked on the link I'd created!
    But is this the right way I wonder? It seems to simple? And would it work on other peoples browsers? Also, rather than just reading the book, people would want to download it, hence there'd probably need to be a download link?
    By the way, I'm only referring to free ebooks here.
    There's just so much to try and understand! (I think it may be easier to become a brain surgeon!).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the simple link to the file using <a href> is the correct and standard way to do it. Congratulations!

After the file opens in someone's browser, the Adobe Reader plug-in offers them the "Save to file..." option (the little floppy disk icon), so that's how most people would save it.

If you want to force a download prompt (rather than opening in browser), you can put the .pdf in a .zip file. Or you could offer two links, one to the .pdf (opens in browser), one to the .zip (download).

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I've seen sites with little notices that say
    "to download file, right-click save-as".
    AFAIK, there is a way to use headers to "force download". For example, if you have PHP you could have a regular link, and a download link that goes to a PHP file that reads the file and sends it with a "force download" header.
    It's more involved than this, but has at least a similar line
    PHP Code:
    header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename='whatever.pdf'" ); 
    with a default header of
    PHP Code:
    header("Content-type: application/force-download"); 
    If you have an Apache server, you could link to a "download" folder that has an htaccess file with something like
    Code:
    <Files *.pdf>
      ForceType application/octet-stream
      Header set Content-Disposition attachment
    </Files>
    Although there might be a problem linking to exe files if users didn't know enough to right-click save-as, IMHO a "right-click save-as" is OK for PDF files.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help! That's the free ebooks sorted!
    The selling of ebooks from my site via paypal should'nt be to difficult to figure out now. It looks as though the required tools and information can be found on the 'products & services' page of paypal.
    Just one other unrelated problem I can't figure out is how to indent 'divs'?
    Ian Lloyd mentions this in his book, but he does'nt tell you how to do it.
    I've looked through the 'file, edit, format, view & help' tabs on notepad... but to no avail? Cheers!
    Last edited by steevo; Jul 23, 2008 at 13:17.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try google

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If you mean indenting the div tags in the code, use spaces or tab using your text editor. If you mean indenting them in the displayed page, use CSS, mabye something like margin-left on the div tag's selector (tag, class, or id).
    The SitePoint CSS reference section can help with that. http://reference.sitepoint.com/css

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, my mistake! Yeah, I meant indenting in the code... which I've already been doing all along!!!
    I actually thought that to indent the text was to make it bold. No wonder I was confused??
    Thinking about it though, it would be quite helpful if you could embolden particular tags in the markup.
    Cheers!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    steevo, I've also been trying to figure out how to use PayPal for downloads. It looks like the easiest method is to use an encrypted Pay Now (or Buy Now) button that you create on the PayPal site. Create a page on your site with the download link, and when you're creating the button at PayPal, specify that page as the "return" page after PayPal payment is completed. (Their PayPal Standard Integration Guide .pdf has useful info.)

That's the only method I've been able to figure out that isn't agonizingly complicated involving shopping carts and the like. The key to the more complicated methods is to use the PayPal "IPN" (Instant Payment Notification). They send the payment info to a script on your site; your script must send the same info back to them to verify it, and then you can ok the download (however your application or shopping cart does it).

If anyone knows that the above is on the wrong track, it would be useful to be corrected.

Some places make a big deal about how the download link is not sufficiently secured, since it gets exposed when the download is made. My current view on that is it's true someone could post the URL of the download page all over the web, but the .pdf file (or whatever) itself is also exposed, and someone determined to do so could likewise post that all over the web, so super-securing the download link has limited usefulness.

However, it is a good idea to use a meta tag to make the download page noindex,nofollow so search engines don't index it. Use a meta tag and not robots.txt because putting the URL in robots.txt exposes it to any person or crawler who reads the file.

Don't link into the download page from any other page on your site, so crawlers can't find it. And don't linke out of the download page to anywhere else (because that could expose the URL in the referer string).

Don't use Google Analytics on the download page, to prevent Google discovering the page that way.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    THis is pretty simple, you just need to set up a account with paypal, and get their Buy Now buttons.

And then just design your pages that host your books and have those buttons and then once they are placed have the user pay and then have it redirect to your download page for that book.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extremely helpful information... Thanks!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    adoophoto shop is a good tool...i like this software

adoophoto shop is a tool to make fake things...right man..

is there any book for photoshop for becomeing more expert in this software
    Last edited by Varelse; Jul 26, 2008 at 07:01. Reason: 3 posts merged