SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Top 10 Visited Weblogs In The World!

As Far As I Know These Are The Top 10 Visited Weblogs! Great To Leave Comments On For Backlinks.

1. http://huffingtonpost.com

2. http://www.techcrunch.com

3. http://gizmodo.com

4. http://www.engadget.com

5. http://www.boingboing.net (My Favourite!)

6. http://lifehacker.com

7. http://arstechnica.com

8. http://icanhascheezburger.com

9. http://mashable.com

10. http://www.readwriteweb.com

If You Can Think Of Any Other Blogs Of Note Please Add Them To The List!

Thanks!
    Dave.

P.S. One Other I Want To Mention (Not Perez Hilton's Blog - Groan!) But A Weblog Of Similar Flavour Which Is Vastly Superior To Dear Perez (In My Humble Opinion) Is http://www.gawker.com It Doesn't Get Any B*tchier Than This! To Die For!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traffic from comments are not "backlinks". Because, most modern CMS (ie wordpress) uses "nofollow" in their comments links; so that search engine don't count them as "backlinks".

Backlinks would be if one site would directly refer to your site as a link in it's post/article. I once got a backlink from lifehacker.com, referring to one of my article and my site went down.

Comment links are different. I think the importance of links in your comments are overblown, you would surely get some traffic. I am not sure if it's worth the trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pavelmaha View Post
    Traffic from comments are not "backlinks". Because, most modern CMS (ie wordpress) uses "nofollow" in their comments links; so that search engine don't count them as "backlinks".

Backlinks would be if one site would directly refer to your site as a link in it's post/article. I once got a backlink from lifehacker.com, referring to one of my article and my site went down.

Comment links are different. I think the importance of links in your comments are overblown, you would surely get some traffic. I am not sure if it's worth the trouble.
    How did you managed to get a link on life hacker ? and where is your site hosted, I need to be prepared for things like those )
    website unblockers / new proxies posted daily
    submit proxy / instant approval, no link back required
    travel destinations / all over the world

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here the link from the lifehacker.

Since than I have moved to dedicated host, tweaked for large traffic in short time (eaccelerator). I dont get affected by digg traffic, and I am confident that lifehacker traffic wouldn't do much damage either.

My server is hosted by hostgator elite dedicated ($279 per month).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i need them

********* user
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get top 100 blogs from Technorati

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not any SEO/Marketing blog there in top 10 list?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with trying to find the Top 10/100/1000/etc is that the only statistics we can guess from don't reflect every Blog. Also, when does a news website become a Blog and vice-versa? It seems that websites like the huffington post want to have their cake and eat it too (whilst spamming social networks).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    The problem with trying to find the Top 10/100/1000/etc is that the only statistics we can guess from don't reflect every Blog. Also, when does a news website become a Blog and vice-versa? It seems that websites like the huffington post want to have their cake and eat it too (whilst spamming social networks).
    The Huffington Post Is #1 And I Can't For The Life Of Me Work Out Why This Is!? What Would I Know About Global Blogging Trends!? Very Little It Seems, My Only Loved Blog Of The 10 Is Boing Boing! Refreshing, Offbeat And Slightly Left-Leaning! BB Rocks! D.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I really apreciate the List. Will drop by and read all these

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great To Leave Comments On For Backlinks.
    Pavelmaha is correct, and I'm guessing that all these are "nofollow". It could be worth leaving comments in the hope that somebody may click on you, but don't expect masses of traffic.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice List.. but yes all these defenately are "nofollow"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Useful post. Thanks for the share
    The ULTIMATE Buy Low Sell High Money Making Method... Only
    we completely remove the Buy Low part of the equation.
    See how TODAY http://www.the.nichenuke.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huffingtonpost is there because it is essentially a blog. From Wikipedia:

The Huffington Post (often referred to on the Internet as HuffPo or HuffPost) is an online liberal news website and aggregated weblog founded by Arianna Huffington and Kenneth Lerer, featuring hyperlinks to various news sources and columnists. The site covers a wide-range of topics, including sections devoted to politics, entertainment, media, living, business, and the green movement. The Huffington Post was launched on May 9, 2005 as a news and commentary outlet. Its roster of bloggers includes many people from Arianna Huffington's extensive network of prominent "friends." It is ranked the most linked-to blog by Technorati [1] and the most visited news weblog by Alexa Internet[2], and the most influential blog in the world by The Guardian.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Huffingtonpost is there because it is essentially a blog. From Wikipedia:
    Thanks for the info!

Regards,
    Dave.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here the link from the lifehacker.

Since than I have moved to dedicated host, tweaked for large traffic in short time (eaccelerator). I dont get affected by digg traffic, and I am confident that lifehacker traffic wouldn't do much damage either.

My server is hosted by hostgator elite dedicated ($279 per month).
    Traffic from these sites, even Digg, or the old "Slashdot Effect" really doesn't faze modern hardware and networks. I've been on the front page of Digg, linked to a couple times from ReadWriteWeb on this particular list, CNET blogs, Reddit's front page, and the traffic spikes have never moved the load on the server as a whole.

It's just that shared hosts, competing with eachother to sell more for less, have to put so many thousands of sites on a single physical system that they're always riding on high load and any spike is going to cause detrimental disk swapping or trip a resource meter designed to prevent that from happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Traffic from these sites, even Digg, or the old "Slashdot Effect" really doesn't faze modern hardware and networks. I've been on the front page of Digg, linked to a couple times from ReadWriteWeb on this particular list, CNET blogs, Reddit's front page, and the traffic spikes have never moved the load on the server as a whole.

It's just that shared hosts, competing with eachother to sell more for less, have to put so many thousands of sites on a single physical system that they're always riding on high load and any spike is going to cause detrimental disk swapping or trip a resource meter designed to prevent that from happening.
    I had different experience. When I first faced the digg wrath, more than a year ago, I was self-hosted from my home server. Obviously that was a stupid move, but than I never got digged before. Single day gave me 50k hits (that's before I started using more practical logging script). Over the months experimenting with shared and VPS system I realized that; the best way to survive would be a dedicated system. So about 5-6 months ago I moved to hostgator dedicated. Even after moving to dedicated the site couldn't handle traffic from digg (even on a quad system!!), so I had to sit down and install eaccelerator (php cache) to get some relief. I tried APC and xcache but it wouldn't work with my current server configuration. I use wordpress; so an obvious choice would be to use super-cache but because of some custom script I was using until recently I couldn't use it.

I think Digg traffic have changed over the years. Because of their recent algorithm changes front-page articles are rotated much faster giving you less traffic. This month alone, I got on the front page 5 times, each time averaging 10-12k. Only the last one was really good, which gave me 6k in one hour.

With lifehacker things are much different; and I think their traffic are much less talked about. Lifehacker gave much larger traffic than digg has (with their 2 million daily traffic). I rather be on the front page of lifehacker than digg any day.
    Last edited by pavelmaha; Jul 20, 2008 at 11:35.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even after moving to dedicated the site couldn't handle traffic from digg (even on a quad system!!), so I had to sit down and install eaccelerator (php cache) to get some relief.
    W3Counter handles a couple million visits on a slow day on each database server, including the one running the web server. Each hit involves at least 2 database queries; these are PHP pages and an Apache process is 10-20MB in size, no lightweight stuff built for static pages.

The older of the DB servers are single processor, dual-core systems. If you had a quad-core dedicated server even hiccup on a 50,000-visit digg, then there's some serious bad configuration going on there.

And yes, I have been on the front page of Digg when they were doing 50,000+ a day to front page stories. Not only did I get a non-cached dynamic page up on Digg's front page, I also recorded every visit to a database for some analysis. The server's load average at the time was under 1...

http://www.dangrossman.info/2007/06/...iggcoms-users/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some things to note (apart from the possibility of poor configuration on my side).

You are using seperate database server. And possibly using load-balancing? This definitely helps.
    I also have suphp enabled, which can crawl a server to it's knees during heavy load.

You are using a webapplication, so obviously I would guess your system and application/scripts are built with performance in mind; and not necessarily using default configuration.

By the way I checked out your counter, it looks pretty neat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The server the website runs on, the one that got Dugg that I wrote about that time, gets hit 1-5 million times a day... Apache and MySQL on the same server, just like your setup, except dual-core, not quad-core. There's only one HTTP server, no proxies, no load balancing... only about 1-2 million queries will be on the local database, the rest hitting other DB servers, but that's still orders of magnitude more than 50,000.

http://status.awio.com/ (plutonium's under high load because it's number crunching a huge report for me)

That server costs $179/month from Softlayer.com, check it out, looks like you could save some money, and there's no contracts! I just got two quad-core Opteron 1354 / 4GB RAM servers from them for the same price this week. I had ordered dual-core Opteron 1216 servers but they gave me a free upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan I will definitely check out the link, their price looks interesting. I wonder if they can match the customer service of hostagtor; or changing hosts is worth the trouble of 10-20 bucks I might be saving. With HG I am also contracted by month, so I can leave anytime I want. Thanks for the link.

Also I just realized that maybe we are not comparing the same thing. Your database gets hit 1-2 million hits per day; which not the same thing as a wordpress setup getting that much hit on a single day on that server configuration. Besides my initial problem with digg traffic was that I had suphp enabled, which has changed since than.

At current server setup; I should be able to withstand 500k per day without any problem, I did some rough estimate with ab benchmark. But if I get that much hits, I think it's a problem I wouldn't mind having.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite having great pricing recently, SoftLayer isn't a "budget" company. They're much larger and run by much more experienced folks than HostGator. Do some research on them and I think you'll find they're solid... I moved there, at higher cost, probably two years ago after seeing how bad those discount places are run (LayeredTech, Managed.com, Angel Networks, etc). I ordered my servers at 3AM, by the way, and they were provisioned in about one hour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the list, how many of them are no-follow? Is that high traffic blog that we can gain the traffic , not just only backlinks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttakorn View Post
    For the list, how many of them are no-follow? Is that high traffic blog that we can gain the traffic , not just only backlinks?
    I would guess 99.99% of all blogs has nofollow in their comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Despite having great pricing recently, SoftLayer isn't a "budget" company. They're much larger and run by much more experienced folks than HostGator. Do some research on them and I think you'll find they're solid... I moved there, at higher cost, probably two years ago after seeing how bad those discount places are run (LayeredTech, Managed.com, Angel Networks, etc). I ordered my servers at 3AM, by the way, and they were provisioned in about one hour
    Hey good luck. Getting new server's are always exciting (mine was). I will do some 'digg' around and comparison with my current host.