SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question problem starting mongrel

Hello, I have just purchased Simply Rails 2 by Patrick Lenz. I am trying to get Mongrel started, on page 43 Patrick says that one must enter the command ruby script/server from the shovell directory at the command line. It doesn't work, DOS says no such command or directory. I am using Windows XP. I created the various directories from windows and not from the rails command as suggested because the rails command wouldn't work, maybe this has something to do with it.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Jacques
    JJJack

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you're running a regular DOS prompt. You have to use a Ruby shell or it doesn't recognize those commands. You should be able to run a Ruby shell with InstantRails. I think the book tells you how, right? After that, you should erase all those directories you built (so that you get all of the essential scripts and whatnot) and run "rails APPNAME" in a RUBY shell. It'll *should* work then.

I use Linux primarily, so correct me if I'm wrong.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi grenadier, thanks for your response. I am using the ruby console and then opening the ruby console window just as shown in the book. However, this ruby console is a dos window, something strange here.

J
    JJJack

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to do this:

• Open a Command (DOS) window
    • enter cd path_to_application where path_to_application needs to be the address of the folder your application is in. So say it is at "C:\web app\my_app" you would enter cd 'c:\web app\my_app'
    • then enter ruby script/server

If this doesn't work, I expect that you don't have Ruby and/or Rails correctly installed.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Yes, but this does not work. But I am not sure what could have gone wrong with the installation, it is a simple matter of unzipping the files into a directory and then starting ruby with instantrails.exe. Am I missing something?

J
    JJJack

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I imagine you would have to install Ruby itself first, that would explain why the command 'ruby' isn't recognized.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't listen to the book. DON'T USE INSTANTRAILS. Many people on this forum have asked about problems they're having with instantrails.

InstantRails is supposed to be easier to install, but Ruby already is extremely easy to install: just download the Ruby One Click installer and double click the installer. Done. Just like any other Windows application.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinstaller/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Thanks for the tip. Since this is very different from the book, how does one get to the ruby console now?

Cheers,

Jacques
    JJJack

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have Windows98 and couldn't use InstantRails. I had to hack some http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563276 but I finally got things working. I've been accessing the ruby console (and the irb and sqlite3 consoles too) By starting the RDoc server from the start menu, and then starting the RubyGems Package Manager. i.e.
    C:\ruby>cd c:\ruby\shovell
    C:\ruby\shovell>ruby script/console
    Loading development environment (Rails 2.1.0)
    >>