SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast erikdiamond's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELP! How did they make that background?

Hello.

Attached are the images found on the following website: http://www.mariusroosendaal.com. I am more interested in how the designer create a 3D effect to the colorful backgrounds. Did he use the dodge or light flare filter? I also appreciate if someone tell me a step by step tutorial on this so I might create a similiar effect for my own background.

I did ask the webmaster but did not get any response.

Thanks,
    Erik
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

It is actually two backgrounds, the bottom wood at an angle is just the top background tilted at the right angle to look like it is going into the sheet. Use Distort and drag from right to left to get that effect. Once you have the backgrounds in place you need to use the Dodge/Burn/Brightness/Contrast effects to get the highlighted areas in the middle. Try and put a Black Layer overtop and use a BRUSH ERASER to get the black borders in the appropriate areas. If that doesn't work, try just using a Brushed Black Color with opacity set to like 60 or 70 percent for a lower dramatic effect. The text shadow is just a black brush to look like the text is floating and the website area on the right is just the image inverted vertically with an opacity set to around 40-50 percent and erased in the correct areas.

I hope that helps?

Once you mess around with enough images you will be able to see it in your head before you even start manipulating the images.

SitePoint Enthusiast erikdiamond's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staylor3 View Post
    It is actually two backgrounds, the bottom wood at an angle is just the top background tilted at the right angle to look like it is going into the sheet. Use Distort and drag from right to left to get that effect. Once you have the backgrounds in place you need to use the Dodge/Burn/Brightness/Contrast effects to get the highlighted areas in the middle. Try and put a Black Layer overtop and use a BRUSH ERASER to get the black borders in the appropriate areas. If that doesn't work, try just using a Brushed Black Color with opacity set to like 60 or 70 percent for a lower dramatic effect. The text shadow is just a black brush to look like the text is floating and the website area on the right is just the image inverted vertically with an opacity set to around 40-50 percent and erased in the correct areas.

I hope that helps?

Once you mess around with enough images you will be able to see it in your head before you even start manipulating the images.

Thank you, I will try it.

Erik