SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac CSS development

A kind visitor told me about a rather annoying problem with my site that occurs when using IE 5 for Mac. Basically, the main problem is the mass of white space before the page actual content of the page starts.

I suspect this has something to do with the way the browsers cope with the box model, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it as I don't have access to a Mac. How does everyone else deal with designing for a Mac? Is there some place I can go or some program I can use that will emulate with some accuracy different platforms (preferably something that allows me to point to a page on my local server)? Does Netscape 6 on Mac also behave differently when compared to it's PC counterpart?

I've had a screenshot of the problem page, but I've yet to get a reply with the screenshot(s) I'm after that will allow me to assess exactly where the problem lies. I've made a special colorful style sheet for those using Mac IE for one page of my site, if someone would be so kind as to give me access to a screenshot or two (preferably covering the whole page if possible) along with the browser and OS details, I could start to fix this problem.

The test page I've set up is at http://websiteowner.info/test.asp - only Mac users should see the coloured backgrounds, and if you're a Mac user and don't see it, I would also like to know.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry just tried to post a layout in plain text, but bombed out.

Looks fine on PC (but you knew that), but on MacOS9 IE5 layout is staggered. I suspect that it's about positioning of elements using relative rather than absolute, but I admit I have not looked at CSS
    Last edited by lloydi; Apr 10, 2002 at 06:34.
    Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way!
    A beginners' HTML/CSS book with web standards at its heart
    The Ultimate HTML Reference
    A complete reference, in glorious hardback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for having a go, I know what the normal pages look like on a Mac (well, I've an idea, I've got a screenshot of the top of the page) - ideally I would like a screenshot of the new test page so I can see how the different colours interact... I've got an idea of what the problem is and how to fix it, I just don't have the ability to test it myself and fix errors in real time.

Thanks again, it's appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would help more if I had time, also I have scant access to the Mac, and it's not networked, so I can't try things out easily with it. Hopefully someone else who owns a Mac and spends more time getting their layouts right in that platform can help (with me it's IE5/PC first then look at other versions/platforms to correct, tweak etc)
    Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way!
    A beginners' HTML/CSS book with web standards at its heart
    The Ultimate HTML Reference
    A complete reference, in glorious hardback