SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple CMS for small company sites?

Which light weight CMS would you recommend for regular small company info sites (5-15 pages)? PHP/MySQL is a requirement. Just to give them the ability to edit content on pages (About us, contact, welcome page, company news etc) etc. Nothing complicated.

I am not keen on Joomla (too bloated and tables), I tried Wordpress for a regular site (not blog). I am pretty familiar with and I like WP a lot for blogs but I am not crazy about using it for other purposes. Among other things I think the back end can too be confusing for a not so computer literate user.

I have looked a little bit at Drupal in a community site context. Seems powerful but it is also blog focused and feels like an overkill for this purpose.

What about ExpressionEngine? I have never looked or installed it. Anyone tried it??

Someone in this forum recommended Textpattern. I had a look at the demo on opensourcecms. I very much liked the look and feel of the back end! But, it is listed as a blog software at opensourcecms, not as a regular csm. Anyone who tried who could advice whether it would be a good idea or not?

Any advice is very appreciated. The list on http://www.opensourcecms.com/
    is pretty long. I would like to narrow it down a bit so I don't have to install each and every system before deciding.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to think I was going to suggest WordPress too... especially given that you can customize the admin panel now.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. That's good to know. It's been a couple of months since I last played around with WP.

However, I am more interested in trying something different just to broaden the horizon. Just don't know where to start...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd definitely recommend wordpress. I haven't looked to see how much admin panel customizing can be done - but you could certainly always create a user account that doesn't give them access to everything and let them use that to manage their site.

Steve

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are making lots of basic sites then small, DB to html engines are good.
    These use PC based databases and parse the content into real html pages. A bit like a cross between a blog and an online CMS but wording on your own PC.
    The advantage is speed because from one install you can create and maintain lots of sites and don't need to keep adding online databases. they also produce lightweight, easy to customise pages via the simple html templates although you can output to .asp or php etc pages if you want.