User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CMS to integrate into existing sites

Hi
    I read the CMS discussiosn in this forum, if anything i only got more confussed... So i'll try to be specific about my requirements and hopefully get some advice that will lead me in the right direction.

So i'm looking for a CMS to integrate into sites i already built. Naturaly that requires a great deal of flexibility. My code is pure CSS , 100% valid and pixel perfect on all major browsers so i need a CMS that can handle that. It doesn't have to come free I'm willing to pay for a liscense.

Thanks

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if your only requirement is that it can use your valid markup and css than I recommend giving Wordpress a try, it is simple to use, plus it is free so you can try it out and see what you think. If you decide you do not like it than all it cost you was a little time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any good CMS separates html/layout and content. But I agree with Ben, start with Wordpress, you can easily convert a CSS driven layout into a Wordpress theme. You also don't have to use its WYSIWYG editor (TinyMCE).

And then you let Wordpress handle your content, you don't have to use it as a blog software at all, you can create static pages with it.

But be careful with extensions, I found a couple of them not up to my own code standards.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,
    with wordpress each page contains one content area and thats it. I neep for pages on my site to include banners, and other divs with all sorts of features, for example, a news ticker box etc..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Banners and other divs can be incorporated into the theme. With some php trickery you can get even more out of your theme.

News ticker and all sorts of features can mean anything, you'll have to be more precise with your needs. We can't recommend you a CMS if we don't know what you need. Wordpress is an easy to use blog software that can be used as a simple CMS - and with the right knowledge you can get even more out of it.

If you are willing to invest some heavy learning, Drupal is a great CMS that gives you more flexibility than any other CMS I know of - it's really a framework that already provides the basic functions of a CMS. But to get the most out of Drupal, you need to really invest a lot of time. There are now some good books out to help you on the way.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok,

so i put together an example that while being only relevant to the sort of template i used here, if i could get a tool that will give me the flexibility i'm about to describe, I'll be ok with just about every template i construct.

Please look at this image:

Now for the header, text and Menu sections, wordpress may be enough. If i were to add the news ticker, and 2 banners to the code of the side menu then wordpress would still suffice. But if I incorporate a CMS in client sites then they should be able to add/change banners for example whenever they wish, and they need a CMS interface in order to do that as they can't be expected to change the sidebar code themselves. They be able to add as many banners as they wish just by uploading an image file, and make links out of them (internal or external).

As for the news ticker its going to be a div with php code, kind of a module, that should be inluded on a page if need be by checking a tick box.

Also i'd like for different pages on the site to use different templates which wordpress (and to my limited knowledge drupal too) can't do as once you use a theme its applied to all pages.

These are the main functionalities I'm after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you are getting better describing your needs, a News Ticker can mean two different things: 1. an industry news ticker fed through an RSS feed, or 2. your own News Ticker fed by your own content.

Drupal can do both things, 1. using either the inbuilt Feed Aggregator (very basic only) or the more sophisticated FeedAPI module in conjunction with Views. 2. Can be achieved by creating a content type News (or just simply renaming the existing content type Story) and then building the list via Views.

Different themes for different pages:
    Drupal can do this as well (no idea why you think it can't? - didn't I say it's the most flexible CMS I know of) and I'm pretty sure, I've seen some solutions for Wordpress as well. Anyway with regards to drupal, you can use either a different page.tpl.php or different node.tpl.php depending on the scope of the differences you need.

Banner management: the best option here is really to use OpenX - for Drupal there's a module that integrates it: http://drupal.org/project/openads. There's also the stand-alone Advertisment module.

However, Drupal isn't very good for clients as it might be just too techie. You probably need at least a WYSIWYG editor - I'd recommend WYMeditor and something better to manage files/images - WebFM.

I would've recommended Joomla instead for its back-end user-friendliness but that just produces plain awful html, and theming was always a pain. I haven't touched the newest release yet but I hear it hasn't changed much in those aspects since 1.0.

So I'd say, be flexible and don't restrict yourself on just one CMS when it comes to building websites for your clients.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not look at a client side db to html parsing engine.
    A small program loaded onto your clients PC. They get a simple form to add their content into and one button to build the site and upload it via ftp.
    Just put the content location tags into a template to determine what text goes where.
    Because this generates basic pages you can build lots of different sections within one site, each using a different template or page type etc.
    The only thing left in the pages is their content so your code will not be upset.