SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CMS Categories Which Need To Be Improved?

First of all, it was difficult coming up with a descriptive title for this topic, so I'm glad I've made it this far.

I've been learning PHP since mid 2006, so for 2 years now I've been improving my skills, and for the majority of that time I've been developing an eCommerce website from scratch for a local business which I've finally completed. They're extremely pleased with the final result, and so am I.

I haven't yet had a chance to showcase any of my work and new found knowledge in a free/open source application yet. I've been looking to create some kind of Content Management System, or web based utility which wouldn't take months to complete, so something relatively small/simple.

I'm posting this topic to ask you (hopefully users of CMS's and Website Management Utilities) what you think the CMS market is lacking. Are there any free products you've looked for in the past and haven't managed to find? or found something that was on the right track but lacked quality or functionality.

Please fire away; what do you think can be improve or introduces in the world of Open Source Web Applications?

Note: I code in PHP/MySQL for your information.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to see an OS CMS which produces good, valid, semantic markup with an eye to accessibility.

I tend to use WordPress because it's reasonably simple but I find the constant update increasingly waring (especially if I've hacked an install around for a client or have a ton of plugins - not so easy to update!). I know Drupal produces nice enough markup but it's very complex to get to grips with.

Something simple would be nice.

I've seen some online CMSs like cushy (I think it was) recently but I don't like the code it produces - e.g. <br /> <br /> instead of <p> which irritates immensely and I wouldn't use it because of this - makes me wonder what else it might do with the markup...

So - simple, clean, accessible, good markup.

That'd be nice!
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with all content-based Content Management Systems (Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress) is that they all need a WYSIWYG editor, and usually these applications intergrate a third party open source WYSIWYG editor simply because it's too much work for the developer, or they don't have the men with the skills to do it (high knowledge of Javascript). So ultimately your desire for good, valid semantic markup rely on those who produce the WYSIWYG editor like FCKEditor.

On that note, these WYSIWYG editor are fairly customisable, and the developer of the application can always sanitise what the editor generates to some extent.

For simple, clean and accessible, I pride myself on those three things. Luckily for me, I'm a coder who can design. In fact I was a designer first, then I learnt how to code.

Anyway, thanks for that input Tailslide. By the way, I don't blame the CushyCMS developers for using double <br /> tags instead of single <p></p> tags (although they should provide the option to toggle between the two). I myself usually resort to double <br /> tags simply because of the way different browsers deal with <p> tags. Most of the differences can be controlled through CSS, but some inconstancies and oddities still remain.

Moving on, I've been going through OpenSourceCMS checking out the systems for various categories of web apps (Blogs, eCommerce, Image Galleries) and there seems to be a major lack of quality at least in the user interfaces for these (the back end is what I look at). Especially for the image galleries from what I've seen so far.