SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Firefox 3 b3 broke my webpage! What happened?

Hi all!

I'm kinda new here, so please don't beat me up if I'm posting something obvious/OT/stupid/<enter your gripe here>

I've had a Wordpress blog for about three years now, with a design that's been the same from the start. I've used IE, Opera, Firefox 1.5, 2.0 to view it, and been quite pleased that it looks mostly the same across all browsers.

Then I got Firefox 3, beta 3. From then on (now Firefox 3 RTM) the site now looks all crumpled up! What changed to make!? I think I also used beta 2, and had no issues.

I have no idea what to search for on the net, so I come to you for advice. If you could spare a moment and take a look at the site with a couple of different browsers and see for yourself what I mean. It's at (I'm not allowed to post links just yet, so..) www hydrah com
    The content is mostly in norwegian, if you're curious, not that it really matters.. )

This is really puzzling me, and I'd love to find a solution to it, as I also love the FF3 browser.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries about being made fun of, not in here at any rate. It's the browser that's the problem, not the site. (It looks fine in my FF2.0.0.15.) As wonderful as FF3 promises to be, it's not quite ready for prime time yet. Obviously something about your site makes FF3 cough up a hairball. You should have a range of browsers on your computer, not only to view your sites in (to ensure they look good for a wide range of browser users) but just in case your browser goes south, you'll have another one you can use while you figure out what happened and how to fix it. Most of us in here have FF, IE (bleah, but it's so widely used, and besides, it comes with Windows), and Opera. Mac fans have Safari and Linux folks use Konqueror and who knows what else (there seems to be an array). You should at least get Opera, and either Safari or IE if you don't already have them. Check your site in those and see what you think.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    I've used IE, Opera, Firefox 1.5, 2.0 to view it, and been quite pleased that it looks mostly the same across all browsers.
    Duh, you mentioned this and I went off on a lecture about multiple browsers. Sorry.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Max View Post
    Duh, you mentioned this and I went off on a lecture about multiple browsers. Sorry.
    Hehe.. np.. I do that some times too..

Anyways, I've been using IE7, FF and Opera for the most part, Safari out of curiosity, and also on my ipod touch. The strange thing it's only FF3 that does this. All other browsers I've tested on are fine. And I have NO IDEA where to begin troubleshooting it! Is it HTML? CSS? Some embedded script that does this? I guess I could try and disable HTML and CSS blocks in the markup, one-by-one, maybe I can see where it breaks. I'd have to do it on my live site, but it's not as if anyone would notice..

Or, the easy way out - dump the Wordpress template and get one that works.. It's just that I spent an inordinate amount of time (relative to my experience ) on this template and didn't want to chuck it just yet..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly wouldn't toss the whole thing overboard because FF3 is choking on it. You might ask some of the gurus on the WP.com (or .org, whichever) forums, or hope someone more knowledgeable than myself comes into this thread. But as of now, FF3 has a miniscule market share. Not worth tearing the blog apart for, especially since it's a)worked fine in other browsers up to and including right now, and b)is probably due to a problem in FF3 and not your blog.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly wouldn't toss the whole thing overboard because FF3 is choking on it. You might ask some of the gurus on the WP.com (or .org, whichever) forums, or hope someone more knowledgeable than myself comes into this thread. But as of now, FF3 has a miniscule market share. Not worth tearing the blog apart for, especially since it's a)worked fine in other browsers up to and including right now, and b)is probably due to a problem in FF3 and not your blog.
    Thanks for your words of encouragement, I'm definitely more inclined to fixing the issue, it's just more "me".

Anyways, I couldn't remember if I'd had the markup validated, so I headed over to validator.w3.org and had it check my site. It came up with 81! errors, so I should probably try to fix those first. I think some probably come from WP, and those might be harder to iron out, but I'll see what can be done...

Thanks for your help!

And btw: I wouldn't bother with this either, if it wasn't for the fact that I LOVE FF3 and use it as my primary browser...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Anyways, I couldn't remember if I'd had the markup validated, so I headed over to validator.w3.org and had it check my site. It came up with 81! errors, so I should probably try to fix those first. I think some probably come from WP, and those might be harder to iron out, but I'll see what can be done...
    That might well be the cause. I'm sure FF3 is pretty strict about standards compliance, so something that an older browser might forgive or ignore might be breaking your site display in FF3. And you're right about WP not allowing you complete control over your code. When I maintained a WP (.org) site, I found it maddening--not only was I having to learn PHP on the fly, I couldn't access the site code the way I wanted. Arrgh.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That might well be the cause. I'm sure FF3 is pretty strict about standards compliance, so something that an older browser might forgive or ignore might be breaking your site display in FF3. And you're right about WP not allowing you complete control over your code. When I maintained a WP (.org) site, I found it maddening--not only was I having to learn PHP on the fly, I couldn't access the site code the way I wanted. Arrgh.
    Ahh, yes.. The satisfaction in yanking out the bug. I started going through the 81 validation errors and noticed that the first few were all in this DHTML script we had embedded in via a PHP include (not immediately apparent! ), which would show a cool clock in the sidebar of the theme. It only ever worked in IE, all other browsers would just silently ignore it. All that is, except FF3!
    Once I "unincluded" the script, the site displays just fine!

I can't remember where I originally found the script, musta been some repository somewhere, but the comment in one of the files says:
    (I'm not blaming anyone here, just, pointing out the flaw!)

DHTML analog clock II (By Erik Arvidsson at http webfx eae net)

Thanks for all your help, even though most was subconscious I guess! Gently nudging me forward and forcing me to think outside the box.. It's much appreciated!

Snowdon
    Norway

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found the current home of that DHTML script:
    DHTML analog clock II
    Erik Arvidsson doesn't seem to be supporting it any longer. Those kinds of widgets can cause all sorts of problems in display. Good catch.

Thanks for all your help, even though most was subconscious I guess! Gently nudging me forward and forcing me to think outside the box.. It's much appreciated!
    You're very welcome, just glad I could help.