SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you quite understand what is going on. In what way does recoding a table based layout as semantic HTML differ from your suggestion? In fact, what is your suggestion?

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaq View Post
    If frank1 has tabular data, then semantic HTML says frank1 should use a table... which solves absolutely nothing at all.
    He doesn't have tubular data, he has a layout being built with a table which is wrong, replacing it all with divs isn't the solution. Using semantics, headers paragraphs, list, etc to mark up is the correct way to go.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you quite understand what is going on. In what way does recoding a table based layout as semantic HTML differ from your suggestion? In fact, what is your suggestion?
    if you dont even know what the suggestion is, then why disagree with it by saying things like "divs are not the way to go"?

this is why i never contribute... because when I give advice away for free, it gets criticized by people who dont even understand it; but when i sell it at $300 an hour, everyone accepts it

its a funny world we live in ... ill just go back to work

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I was pointing out was the misuse of divs vs using semantic HTML. People mean the same thing - CSS based layouts - but I was objecting to the implication that spreading divs everywhere is a good idea, rather than using the correct elements in their place. It makes no difference to anything else which elements are used, but it uses the semantics of the language correctly. You argued against this, but then also said you weren't suggesting putting divs everywhere, so what is your suggestion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was generalized question...
    who can say that there cannot be table like this
    if i feed in and data and images i can make this site look good

so in case i make this site this way and as users says this is not the way(using table...)
    so what is way to do it...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the problem itself, I believe there's a solution. I read it in an article on MSDN from five or six years ago, but I've never applied it. The example they gave worked: table cells progressively loaded. If I recall correctly, try surrounding the TRs with <tbody>, but I think there was more to it than that.

EDIT: Don't think this was the exact article, but: http://web.archive.org/web/200312131...le/msftnew.htm